"Seasoning" a BP barrel ?

Think of it like seasoning an a old cast iron frying pan.They just seem to shoot better after about 150 rnds I think its like barrel break in
 
I'd say it is a myth. I have never done it nor personally know anyone how has. Most muzzleloader shooters I know are competition shooters.
 
I have only been into BP firearms for a short period of time but barrel seasoning is a myth. Remember companies are in the business of selling you a product.
 
I think the idea of seasoning presumes that the rifling is a trifle rough from the rifling cutter, when first received. I don't think that is true for the vast majority of guns. I also think that for a rough barrel to be polished after only 150 shots is questionable in the sense that it would presume a moderate amount of wear over a relatively few shots. Some people have told me that they felt their barrel had become worn out after 10,000 shots or so but that is an awful lot more shooting that 150 shots of alleged polishing. The gun involved also had relatively shallow rifling to begin with (.005" deep) and was by no means a smoothbore when finished. Possibly using patches with grit in them could accelerate wear.

cheers mooncoon
 
I must have misunderstood the term "seasoning". I thought out refered to the practice of not using petroleum products in the barrel. I've been using bore butter and natural based cleaners and having great results.
 
I must have misunderstood the term "seasoning". I thought out refered to the practice of not using petroleum products in the barrel. I've been using bore butter and natural based cleaners and having great results.

I have used petroleum products to rust proof my barrels during storage, for many years with no problems cropping up, that I am aware of

cheers mooncoon
 
For a new gun I suspect "seasoning" is more accurately described as "breaking in" or "burnishing in".

I have not gotten all that many NEW guns but of the ones I've had four of them shot rather wildly for the first rounds and tended to lead up the bores. As the rifling was burnished in and lost the burrs or whatever that grabbed at the bullets the guns "came in" and shot the sort of tight groups that they should. On those guns which shoot lead this point also came with a great reduction in leading or no leading of any significance.

The sort of stuff we clean our bores with should totally remove any sort of varnish build up. And if you consider the "seasoning" of a cast iron frying pan and that black buildup that is exactly what it is. A heat polymerized varnish composed of fats and other organics.
 
Back
Top Bottom