Secondary Ammo Storage

Mobular

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
So, after reading of some folks finding rusty cases in their bulk ammo purchases, i got to wondering if a fella were to open his "sealed" military case to do an inspection, how would one store all of this ammo?
My thought is to repack it all into surplus ammo cans with a few of those silica gel packets that come with almost all electronics purchases, y'know, to fend off any future moisture problems......any thoughts on using those packets??
 
I've got a bunch of loose 7.62x39 in .50 BMG ammo cans. As long as the gasket is in good shape they're airtight. I don't feel the need to use the silica packets but they can't hurt if you want to use them.
 
You can also buy a big bag of coarse silica at home depot in canvass sack about the size of 5lb bag of flower, or 1 litre of fine silica from an arts and craft store (I think crafters use it for drying flowers). Both are under $20, and break those bulk packages down for your ammo boxes.
 
I use ammo cans and tape a piece of a corrosion inhibitor foam to the underside of the lid. I get the foam from Lee Valley.
 
A sock or piece of old nylon filled w/ white rice for a moisture trap... doubles as a food stash too if the SHTF... :p
 
hey colt, Tell me more about those seals from lee valley....


I find some of those ammo cans seals are pretty beat up.
 
hey colt, Tell me more about those seals from lee valley....


I find some of those ammo cans seals are pretty beat up.

The corrosion foam is here:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=59367&cat=1,43326

But you can't use it as a seal, I just cut a piece 1"x3" or so and tape in to the lid. Sorry if I was miss leading.
 
Back
Top Bottom