seeking 3 band Snider Enfield advice

gerardjohnson

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
New Brunswick
I'm going to look at a 3 band Snider that a collector wants to trade as partial payment for my 1886 Winchester. I'm not very familiar with the Snider, although I owned one about 15 years ago. What should I be looking for in this rifle? I'm told it has an excellent bore, very good metal with lots of blueing left, and excellent furniture. He also has the bayonet. Are some marks worth more than others? What would be the approximate value of this rifle? Thanks for any advice you can give me.
 
Not too sure about value... Depends a lot about condition (the bore is important to shooters), the Mark (Mk III have a locked breach block and are considered safer while earlier marks use a spring loaded steel ball that held the bloc in place mostly by friction when the ball reached a hole once the action is closed.. ), the markings (Canadian Unit marks are more valuable, especially if they can be traced to the Rebellion, etc...) and if the rifle is all original... You could look at vendor prices (P&S militaria, etc) to get an idea of values on the Canadian market... 600$ to 1500$ is what I see usually but While I have a few Mk3 in various shapes, I'm not an expert!! The bayonets go for 100$ or 150$ now?? More if in excellent shape and with the original scabbard I would guess...
 
The majority of Snider long rifles are the various versions of the Mark I and Mark II.

Mark III in a long rifle is less common.

The Mark III was NOT a conversion from a Muzzleloader, although the older versions of the rifle are conversions. They have IRON barrels and NO positive Lock for the Breech Block.

The Mark III was newly-made from 1867 through 1872, had a positive Lock for the Breech Block and has a STEEL barrel which is marked as such, just forward of the SHOE (Receiver), on the upper-left of the Barrel.

Values? I have little idea as to values. I did sell a Mark III Snider long rifle for $900 quite a few years ago but it was in really nice condition: UNFIRED. You won't find many like that, believe me!
 
Condition and rarity are everything when you try to evaluate the price of an antique.

This is from Enfield Snider.com

There were five patterns of Snider produced, the following were standard 3 band Enfield conversions:


MkI Designed for the original Pottet cased round - The breech has a rounded rebate for case rim.

MkI* The MkI's were altered to use Boxer case ie the breech rebate altered to square.

MkII* As per MkI* but newly built that way rather than altered from MkI.

MkII** Purpose built, the breech block design was changed to strengthen the system.

MkIII Purpose built, with steel barrel and locking lug mechanism for securing breech which replaced the latching pin of earlier models.



SNIDER MK II** LONG RIFLE

This Example Lock Plate Date: 18
Manufacturer (s): B.S.A. L.S.A., Enfield
Bands: 3
Furniture: Brass
Hammer Face: Cupped
Sights: 950 yards
Barrel Length: 36.5"
Overall Length: 54.25"
Weight: Lbs
Bore: .577
Rifling: 3 groove

Notes:

This is the most commonly encountered Snider rifle and was improved in five ways from the MKI* and the MkII*:

1. This was the fist Snider to have a cupped hammer

2. The firing pin nipple was slightly shortened

3. Reshaping of the extractor

4. breach block face enlarged

5. shoe altered in respect of he above alteration

If the original cleaning rod is sill present this will have a squared jag, with a reduced diameter - most however were replaced with later roundheads, as with the original P53.

The breach is simply marked with II**, denoting the arm mark...Finally no MkII model rifles were produced.

Pattern approval date: December 1866

http://www.enfield-snider.com/Snider Mk II Star Star Long Rifle.htm
 
I made the trade today, but reduced the trade-in allowance for the Snider. It's not real bad, but not anywhere near as nice as the description I received over the phone. The wood on the left side of the receiver is chewed up quite badly and it has a few of the mandatory initials on the butt. Otherwise, The wood is quite good with very nice grain.
The rifle is a 3 band with brass butt plate and nose cap. On the right side of the butt stock is the Enfield cartouche with RM at the top and 35 in the centre. There is a D.C. on the left side of the butt stock. There is a square end on the cleaning rod. On the right side plate is a crown with VR under behind the hammer. In front of the hammer is 1868 over ENFIELD. It is a Mk II**. There is a broad arrow on top over WD over what looks something like an open book, over E over 49. There are proof marks on the side of the barrel but I don't know what they represent.
The bayonet ans scabbard look very good. The scabbard has a broad arrow over WD on the back. On the side there is a large Y, and AR inside an oval. the blade has an E over that open book type symbol over 30. How can I tell if it has the iron or steel barrel?
I took some photos, very poor ones, but I've never been able to figure out how to post them. I can email them to an email address.
 
Back
Top Bottom