Found between the floor joists of an old rural house and then gifted to me.
Marlin M1897 take down .22, 24" octagonal barrel, full length magazine, colour case receiver, lever and hammer. Complete, unaltered and fully functioning. Little used but long neglected.
SN dates to 1897 manufacture.
This rifle was coated with surface rust when I began the clean-up. Externally it restored well, some light pitting on the barrel mostly, about 80%+ blue remains. The casehardened parts fared well with some colour remaining. The wood is very good too, it may be the original finish.
The bore however, is sewer pipe.
Do I,- Reline and return this beautifull 'ol girl to shooting glory?.
OR,- Leave it as a wall hanger.
Opinions will be appreciated.
Marlin M1897 take down .22, 24" octagonal barrel, full length magazine, colour case receiver, lever and hammer. Complete, unaltered and fully functioning. Little used but long neglected.
SN dates to 1897 manufacture.
This rifle was coated with surface rust when I began the clean-up. Externally it restored well, some light pitting on the barrel mostly, about 80%+ blue remains. The casehardened parts fared well with some colour remaining. The wood is very good too, it may be the original finish.
The bore however, is sewer pipe.
Do I,- Reline and return this beautifull 'ol girl to shooting glory?.
OR,- Leave it as a wall hanger.
Opinions will be appreciated.


















































