Service ammo concern?

Ix

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Location
LVL QC
Hi guys, just to be safe I tough I'd ask here.

The brass on nearly half of the ammo I'm issued at work shows a strange indentation/depression a couple mm from the case neck (the two rounds on the right shows it, the two on the left do not...or not as much anyways):
a077889c.jpg

Any of you guys seen that before?
What causes this?
Should I be concerned?

I've never noticed that on my personal ammo before, not saying it was never there but I don't recall noticing it. In case you are wondering ammo is 180gr .40S&W Winchester Ranger hollow point.
 
Last edited:
Never seen that before .
I would ask them to issue you a new box of ammo,(just for your piece of mind)just in case and fire those old ones off in training?
 
If those were brass only and not Nickle plated they might be GREEN

I have seen Rounds like that Dropped with dints (rough handeling)

If in a match I would replace with good rounds and shoot them later for practice
(no problems)

if those are the only ones you have and can not get replacements (or don't want to make waves)
stick them in the bottom of your second mag, and put the BEST Rounds you can find in your number 1 mag
 
...I would ask them to issue you a new box of ammo... and fire those old ones off in training?

that's what I was thinking too.

If those were brass only and not Nickle plated they might be GREEN...

as in verdigris green?

...stick them in the bottom of your second mag, and put the BEST Rounds you can find in your number 1 mag

immediate action advice; I like that! I'll do that ASAP and suggest it to the others here; I know of at least a couple other guys that have rounds showing the same thing.

:cheers:
thanks guys
 
Last edited:
Are the rounds marked up like that right out of the box? How old are the rounds, the copper jacketing looks a bit dull? Are you unloading and rotating the rounds in your mags periodically, or could the rounds with the marks be one from the top of your mags and/or your top-up round? If mags are not unloaded and rounds rotated, the top round in your mag and your top-up round would get cycled alot through the action each time you start end your shifts. Maybe this could cause the marks, wear? I'm just thinking out loud here.....

I'm going to check mine when I'm back to work to see if I notice anything like that, we use the same ammo.
 
Also, measure case lenght, I've seen new factory ammo (but only in .45acp) with cases 2mm longer than they are supposed to be; ammo would prevent slide going into battery.
 
Are the rounds marked up like that right out of the box?...

I don't think so... I think I would have noticed this before but I can't really tell.

How old are the rounds, the copper jacketing looks a bit dull?...

less than 2 years old as thats about when we switched to M&P40 here.

Are you unloading and rotating the rounds in your mags periodically, or could the rounds with the marks be one from the top of your mags and/or your top-up round?...

did that a couple times but way too many rounds show this for all of them to have been cycled... about half show some, 1/4 show all the way around and the rest show none

I'll try to find a full box somewhere to see if new rounds show this mark
 
Back
Top Bottom