Settle a bet for me. Can we hunt with our antiques?

I've had conversations with Ontario conservation officers in the Parry Sound area and they (more than one of them) have said it's fine to take my antique handgun in the bush with me and shoot it but that in order to "avoid trouble" it would be wise to make sure it doesn't look like I'm hunting with it, ie. keep it in a case to and from my shooting spot and have targets on me.

I take these conversations to mean that, regardless of technical legality, there's a good chance that if a CO stopped me and thought I was hunting with my antique handgun they'd charge me.

Each individual needs to decide whether, based on their relationships with CO's in their chosen area, they'd be willing to risk such an encounter and face a potential court case.

Jethunter has pursued this topic extensively - perhaps he'll chime in? Or maybe the OP should review Jethunter's posts on the subject?

Personally, I'd rather not face a court challenge and legal costs, even if I'd win. I'm not condemning those who choose to do so, everyone needs to decide for themselves. I hope they'll do that with a measure of forethought!
 
I've had conversations with Ontario conservation officers in the Parry Sound area and they (more than one of them) have said it's fine to take my antique handgun in the bush with me and shoot it but that in order to "avoid trouble" it would be wise to make sure it doesn't look like I'm hunting with it, ie. keep it in a case to and from my shooting spot and have targets on me.

I take these conversations to mean that, regardless of technical legality, there's a good chance that if a CO stopped me and thought I was hunting with my antique handgun they'd charge me.
Each individual needs to decide whether, based on their relationships with CO's in their chosen area, they'd be willing to risk such an encounter and face a potential court case.

Jethunter has pursued this topic extensively - perhaps he'll chime in? Or maybe the OP should review Jethunter's posts on the subject?

Personally, I'd rather not face a court challenge and legal costs, even if I'd win. I'm not condemning those who choose to do so, everyone needs to decide for themselves. I hope they'll do that with a measure of forethought!

Did they give any indication what the charge might be? Under what body of laws?
 
No, they didn't discuss the specific laws - but both said that since hunting with a handgun is illegal, I should keep it in a case until I got to my target-shooting spot. Likely they were unfamiliar with antique regulations and felt that this sort of use (hunting) would fall under the blanket ban on handgun hunting. I do not want to be in a position where I must to educate a CO/LEO on firearms laws on the spot in order to avoid charges/seizure...
 
Last edited:
ON regulations have a blanket ban on hunting with restricted and prohibited firearms.
Prescribed and deemed antiques are neither.
 
An ethical hunter wouldn't even consider hunting with a BP handgun even if allowed to by law. These things were designed to shoot a man at very close range in order to kill him and thereby protect yourself. Sorry, its a fools argument IMHO.

many deer are droped to cap and ball pistols every year. a bp .44 sp round would do the job at close range(bow type range maybe 20 yards or so not too hard in thick brush) but i would want atleast .357 mag power for deer :)
 
An ethical hunter wouldn't even consider hunting with a BP handgun even if allowed to by law. These things were designed to shoot a man at very close range in order to kill him and thereby protect yourself. Sorry, its a fools argument IMHO.
x 2
I've got a few antiques and they are not hunting calibers IMO. And I shoot them; often, at varied targets. They just don't have the ft/lbs req'd to do it right.
The archery comparison is a moot point. Arrows kill by bleeding out the animal rapidly, not shock induced by a bullet.
Apples & oranges.
 
x 2
I've got a few antiques and they are not hunting calibers IMO. And I shoot them; often, at varied targets. They just don't have the ft/lbs req'd to do it right.
The archery comparison is a moot point. Arrows kill by bleeding out the animal rapidly, not shock induced by a bullet.
Apples & oranges.

no one was comparing it to archery we where talking about archery ranges 0to 20 yards or so
 
IMO, if you like BP (I do), use a rifle for hunting. Keep your pistols for the poker game.

the real antique guys (you know the ones that dress up in deer hide :p) in the US use both rifles and pistols to hunt deer the pistol is normaly used as a back up incase the rifle did not kill it right away(you walk up to it and its still kicking) but hear is a guy using a single shot pistol for deer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmGoIoKltxw

ive also seen a vid where a guy hunted with a cap and ball wheel gun

a .44sp can take a deer are you going to shoot it from 100 yards no id keep it close under 20 yards and place it right in the hart if you can hit that keep it at home
 
ON regulations prohibit hunting with restricted firearms; antique handguns are not restricted, so by default hunting with them is not prohibited. Not quite the same thing as specifically permitting them to be used. This situation will likely last until the vigorously anti-gun ON Gov't gets wind of this "loophole", and that will be the end of it.

I know I wouldn't try it in Ontario (with an antique handgun, that is). Odds are the CO would charge first and let a judge decide on whether or not a loophole exists. Win or lose, it would cost thousands to find out. But that's just me. not saying I'm right on this, it's just what I would do.
 
Odds are the CO would charge first and let a judge decide on whether or not a loophole exists. Win or lose, it would cost thousands to find out.

The bottom line for sure. The only changes I would suggest:

Replace 'odds' with "It is a certaintity"

Replace 'thousands' with "tens of thousands"
 
lol you know what i mean the guys who like to go out and play mountain man :p

I used to really enjoy hunting as close as possible to the original way - flint and steel to light fires, possibles bag, hand-made moccasins, etc. it wasn't so much "playing" as giving the hobby more depth, for want of a better word. I gave it up because a grey-haired, limping, 250 lb. mountain man can be very hazardous to one's health. It would almost certainly cause convulsions, seizures and fits.




If there were any vehicles nearby, massive pile-ups could occur.



Not to the mountain man, but to anyone who saw one coming towards them.Laugh2Laugh2Laugh2
 
Back
Top Bottom