sharps 45/2-7/8

eaglesnester

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the Pedesoli 45/110 generally stack up to the Shilo Sharps in same caliber? Anybody got a bullet gn wr weight recommendations and metal formulas
for 459 dia. molds? Have been shooting cap locks and flint locks for years this is my first venture into black powder assembled ammunition.
Anyone have any information on where I can get 2-7/8 brass in Canada?
 
I have owned both Shilos and Pedersolis and it would be like comparing a Chev to a Mercedes: both will get you there, but.... As for bullets it depends on what you want to do with the rifle. For paper targets and say out to about 300 yds the 420 gr flat-nose cast bullet from a Lyman mold worked well for me and kept recoil down. For iron silhouettes the 535 gr "Postel" from Lyman is almost universally the bullet of choice but there are other designs in that same weight range that are popular too. Experience has shown that weighjt is required to reliably knock down 500 yd rams. An alloy of 1:20 or 1:25 tin to lead seems most common. As for brass I think some folks have mentioned Bullet Barn but I know of no Canadian sources. If I understand correctly it is difficult to buy it from USA sources due to export restrictions but there must be a way.
 
I owned a Sharps 45 - 120 for a couple of years and traded it off because I did not like the recoil. I think you would be far better off to get something in 40 caliber because it would still have enough knock down power at 500 yards and be a lot easier on the shoulder.

cheers mooncoon
 
From what I have seen Starline is the only sane choice for that sort of brass. It's carried by several site supporters.

As mentioned, be aware of your recoil tolerance. Even a 45-70 can be punishing and it's difficult to load-down large volume cases.
 
From what I have seen Starline is the only sane choice for that sort of brass. It's carried by several site supporters.

As mentioned, be aware of your recoil tolerance. Even a 45-70 can be punishing and it's difficult to load-down large volume cases.
Yur right about the 45/70 being punishing. I have a new Remlin 45/70 Cowboy 1895 octagon 26 inch barrel. This rifle is a beast even with 350 grainers. When I first got it I took it to the range in the summer. Had on a t shirt and no butt pad. Only got off 9 rounds off, off hand and had to quit. I was unable to shoot another rifle for 3 weeks. I do believe the 26 inch barrel (more compression?) causes the recoil. I have shot other 45/70 in 22 inch barrels and they were puppy dogs, just a push
Thanks for the replies on the lead-tin mix
Looking forward to reloading and shooting the Pedesoli. Wish it were a Shilo but did not feel like waiting 15-24 months.
 
I shoot a couple of .45-110's, a Shiloh and a C. Sharps. I bought brass primarily from Jerry Teo of Mystic Precision ( a board supporter ). I use Norma .45 cal 2.88" long brass, but use it for bore diameter paper patched bullets. It's about 0.001" thicker than most other BPCR brass.

Stay away from Bertram brass. I have some and some of it works well, and other boxes split upon first firing. I've also tried the older Jamison brass and found the dimensions to be wrong. Apparently the new Captech stuff is supposed to be quite good, but I've never tried it. Prophet River could import some for you.

Starline doesn't make .45-2-7/8" brass, but they do make it for the 2.6" case and it's pretty good stuff. It's also readily available from places like Rusty Wood Trading.

The .45-110 isn't for everybody, but it can shoot very well. If you want to read about it, go to the Shiloh forum and read everything that Kenny Wasserburger has written about it. Mostly old posts. He can make that cartridge shoot better than anyone I think. I have seen it first hand.

Chris.
 
After having a couple of pedisoli's and and now a browning BPCR and also one with a ron smith barrel I can say the pedersoli came up 2nd Now the only place I noticed it with the same lube bullets etc. was with pedesoli barrels would foul and loose accuracy faster than my Browning or my Ron smith barrel the browning I believe they had badger barrels on them . But have never owned a real sharps to compare to
 
Sorry I didn't realize Starline topped out at 2.6".

It just hurts my frugal natural too much to consider shooting brass that's approaching $3 each. It lasts pretty well forever with black powder but it turns me off anyway.
 
It sure would be nice if they did. I'm actually surprised that they don't as I know of lots of people with rifles chambered for the 2-7/8" case, and only a few with the 2.6" case.

I don't remember what I paid for the Norma brass, but it wasn't cheap. I think it was a little more than $2, but that was 6 or 7 years ago...

Chris.
 
I have shot both the 45-70 and a Pedersoli 45-90 with 400 - 535 cast slugs and finally wimped out and went to a 1885 Hi Wall with gain twist rifling by Ron Smith in 38-55. Using a Boomer's custom-mold 325 cast slug it is a pussy cat I can shoot comfortably all day and actually enjoy the experience. No more 45 cal buffalo guns for me, thank you.... and 38-33 brass is readily available.
 
Back
Top Bottom