Mike Venturino wrote of shooting a couple of BPCR's at an Army proving range. The object was to establish if the famous 'Billy Dixon shot' could really have been done with a BPCR at 1500+ yds.
Everyone was surprised at the results, especially the ballistic techs. The height of the bullet's trajectory and the distance travelled amazed them. It was certainly possible.
Same applies to the 'scratch shot' made by "LaBoeuf" in Charles Portis's "True Grit":
- "Laboeuf quickly assumed a sitting position with the Sharps rifle, his elbows locked against his knees. He took only a second to draw a bead and fire the powerful gun. The ball flew to it's mark like a martin to it's gourd and Lucky Ned Pepper fell dead in the saddle. The distance covered by Laboeuf's wonderful shot at the moving rider was over 600 yards. I am prepared to swear an affidavit to it." Mattie Ross
I own and shoot a couple of Shiloh '74 50-70's, one of them a SRC like LaBoeuf's "Leadbelly" but I wouldn't want to make a bet that I could duplicate that shot.