Sharps conversion

rwnblack

Regular
Uber Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Location
Saskatoon
I have an IAB 1863 percussion sharps that I have decided to convert to cartridge but while I was at it decided to make a second breech block so I can shoot 22 shells in my 1874 Shiloh using a slip in liner.

Here are some pics of the process. It has turned out to be more work than I thought so probably wouldn't do it again.i started with 1x2" mild steel bar. Next is to casharden it and build the slip in 22 liner.

24c04a91705e2e99936277ef7c92f02b.jpg

80fa1a176dc87b5715e58ef3ce897e46.jpg

f5ba93d2340b7b74570b0b7a5ca2cd73.jpg

1bbce263a3f20b05c35f9a376d87bd5a.jpg

f85f11d44499389aff54b194886ac85a.jpg

cc35d061c60467993676acb9156caebe.jpg

f09df98c38616774ea5f445d787a3748.jpg

5312411e6c7a9ae5bac739989b8c7223.jpg

787582cd6b59c9cb6252802b855073f3.jpg

2aed8fc38d4b3c1bd7f0305133e624ca.jpg

924554c4cb5f3cddaaba2d368edfa012.jpg

e0fb74b580c74b1fa26cf51fd5eb10a8.jpg

2aa51acb5b7405c9c5f31129249fddd8.jpg

136b590f80d9ffca4a050867bef90f7e.jpg

1dc3ffa4916e7b5d5e98a8f32739d869.jpg

4787a2f134de34f68ef08edc1aacea7e.jpg

d18c95495ee523aa6622f287eb319ced.jpg

59ded38c27e601ea01b35cde0160e5a8.jpg

d6d3d4cbc0caa9bad0c71b4cf394a897.jpg
 
Here are some more pics of the project. The barrel is an old 22 turned down, i epoxied both ends tonight. Hopefully tommorow I can chamber it and turn down the delron spacer. Then all that is left is making an extractor and casehardening the block. The barrel is only 16" long so may not have the velocity for 200 yard competition, we will see. If not bits and pieces is getting some liners and i will buy a few for this and other projects.

86214b75ae6ef44958807d888a534b20.jpg

376809e88215f34b5aebf38efb01147d.jpg

61a15628d21684da3933fc1da8e38e33.jpg

a1b91dac2b89210a6e0052d501a18b53.jpg
 
Wow! great work. Sure would have been simpler to buy one of the .22LR kits on the market and work with that.

A guy on the Shiloh forum talked about converting a percussion '63 to brass cartridge and decided that it wasn't practical. Shiloh won't do it as they'd be kept very busy and selling fewer '63s when they do an occasional run.
 
Thanks, but be careful if you start, it is addicting. I sneak out to my shop every chance I get. I am making two extractors right now. If all goes well this 22 should be ready to go by the end of the day. I think I will come back to the percussion conversion a little bit later. I have a Rigby Rifle that I want to finish by spring so should focus some attention to it. I started the barrel before we moved last year but now that my shop is set up it is time to get it done. It started life as a Green Mountain 45 Cal 3 1/2 Winchester taper BPCR blank.

00b5114add230f1d512ede6462a9e258.jpg

527cb1043926791b7271fcc8af2db649.jpg

0b17601f5b3895a00898409495f56e4a.jpg

189d59177e53384b04aabbeae064162e.jpg

8fdadb77888b2cd50a2d71c123bad194.jpg
 
Mad skills, wow! I just bought a Sharps converted to 45-70. I am glad the work is done, I could not do it or pay someone to do it. At 160 years it is great to see them working! Well done, AJ.
 
I made the extractors this afternoon. The slip in barrel is chamered and the firing pin lands exactly where I wanted it to. I TIG welded the side piece on, now I have to fit the extractor and make a trip to the range,

28c1b0e26d5b532d59743e364913991f.jpg

a2a056be88382681cb5acc9c94bc474e.jpg

7df51fc6f80fd6e49f867d49b415f886.jpg

f40772a703dbe5317ded574312c8ae52.jpg
 
I finished the 22 LR /45-70. All that is left is casehardening and testing at the range. I will have to look for the infamous buffalo mosquito to shoot at 200 yards!

ebc4f3dc25021e5acef9832ecb275fe4.jpg

034870e9a940fee1a5817a1464341fd4.jpg

034870e9a940fee1a5817a1464341fd4.jpg

c488362fc9086ab48bcfafbb2426a31c.jpg

8ee83d00dd2e3943ee41bced92cc617c.jpg
 
Wow! great work. Sure would have been simpler to buy one of the .22LR kits on the market and work with that.

A guy on the Shiloh forum talked about converting a percussion '63 to brass cartridge and decided that it wasn't practical. Shiloh won't do it as they'd be kept very busy and selling fewer '63s when they do an occasional run.

Thanks, i should have imported a Lee Shaver insert system and just bough a centre fire block for the IAB but more often than not I get a dumb idea and get fixated on it until it is done or I go crazy trying. On the other hand I really enjoy shooting something that I have built.
 
Tested the rifle this morning right at sunrise. It was -22C with windchill so terribly cold on the fingers. It worked perfectly with no issues. Accuracy was so so. At 50 yards the group was about 3/4". I am tempted to make a longer liner. I am worried that the gasses rushing past the bullet in the barrel after the liner ends might reduce the accuracy. On the other hand, the frozen fingers, fogged glasses, low light and shooting in a rush so I can pick up my daughter after her workout on time, might have something to do with it.

7156982e7a6e892344103f931a7ae7d6.jpg

d365684f25dd054c36df304f5cdb2f1e.jpg
 
Methinks that you had best not judge the rifle's accuracy potential just yet. Try some more ammo brands.

From what I've read, none of the .22LR inserts give pristine accuracy you'd expect from a high end .22LR target rifle. I's say your efforts have proven themselves quite well.

I admire your dedication and determination to shoot it under those conditions.

I have a CMMG .22LR conversion unit for my S&W M&P AR15. It utilizes a .223 chamber insert that is basically a blow back operation not unlike that of a semi-auto .22 of any kind. The bullet has to jump quite a bit before it engages the rifling, but accuracy at 25 yds is all I expect providing my ammo mikes .224.

I don't think you need worry about the effects of gases at the muzzle. Many rifles that utilize various stabilizing/muzzle braking/flash hiding units shoot tolerably well. Alonger insert might just have the effect of slowing down the bullet. Isn't 18" the most optimum length for .22R velocity?
 
It is a 28" MVA scope 6x and is a great sight. It seems to be very repeatable. The limited view doesn't seem to be an issue for me. Montana Vintage Arms in Montana sells them but they are not cheap, about $1000 USD + shipping and taxes.
 
I use about a 2:1 mixture of wood to bone charcoal. The wood is just ground real wood lump charcoal, the bone charcoal is from Ebonex.
 
I finished the casehardening and it looks pretty good. It should be obvious why this is done outside with lots of safety gear on. The flash only lasts a second but it is a good one.

182dca66f4e5a218e49d91dfd615ef62.jpg

3280a298e006f7d42d88fa2b5774a863.jpg

fd139154a208da5ad57b90c76e8cdb55.jpg

17d4c1edb8f2fc4beac21bb533dcdda9.jpg

e97e13a8ced8087d547754b464a80660.jpg

a31f0816c6e28abb08a7b973e25a45da.jpg

dbacdb002f21f7a4c1bed4917ec2ab6c.jpg

6affca89f28a0c2e73774edd51d66975.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom