Sharps conversion

Thanks. Garden shed is not as close as it looks, my daughter sort of took refuge behind the shed to take the pics so is taking the picture at an angle. Now I am going to nitre blue the rest of the parts.
 
I have alot of respect for Turnbull and Kob, the quality of their proves they are true artists. I should have sent my stuff off 20 years ago when I started down this path, but I am too fascinated with BPCR building. However, I finally figured out how to keep my eyebrows intact during the process!
 
I nitre blued some parts tonight including the back plate and screw for the breach block last night. I didn't take any pics of those but here are some Stevens parts done at the same time.

92a7071ca5c0944cf5d2f3fd1562b605.jpg

392d589a3f441cf2782e2f83dfabd20a.jpg

1aa9ab4b414b085224dfb11643d440cd.jpg

e5ee9809eec6a5ade577ae98d8d1b36d.jpg

f5215adbdbd352f5b2d14ed21799cc57.jpg

121ab7c1f79104ca55cede828213aed0.jpg
 
I picked up a very nice anschutz 22 barrel today in light sporter diameter about 21 1/2" long. I am tempted to make it into a liner for this Sharps but expoxy a brass tube on the muzzle end and pull it tight from the muzzle with a nut. I am thinking this would improve the accuracy significantly. This should help me shoot those pesky mosquitoes at 200 yards.
 
Wow! Keep that up and you'll start taking online orders for gun projects..... Any chance you can make rifled chamber adaptors for a break action 12g shotgun chambered in 223, 308 and 7.62x39??? :) ;)
 
Thanks but I think I had better stick to this being a hobby and let the professionals do those types of things.
 
Last edited:
I tried the first liner out yesterday as the sun was rising and it was nice and calm, snowing and about -13 C. It shot okay but I am looking for better. I bought an Anschutz barrel off of a model 121 Cil that looks like new and turned it down yesterday. I decided to pull it from the muzzle based on a friends suggestion. Here is the liner. I have since countersunk the brass nut and have installed it in the Sharps. It is ready to go to the range for a try.

fee3aacbbcb79ff7a53a5ee10f093485.jpg

6054459cf013f7bb0876c44bbd8fb53d.jpg
 
I took it to the range this morning. Nice morning about -13 C but just a light breeze so felt like -18 C or so. This liner shoots much better. It seems to prefer SK ammo but the others weren't to bad. Here is a 10 shot group at 50 yards (I think it was 10, did't do a good job of keeping track). I was having some trouble seeing the lines clearly after a few shots and then the group would open up. I will have to set the scope a bit better. I am looking forward to giving it a very good test this summer. At 100 yards it was doing about 1" groups but I ran out of SK ammo by then.

418c6783eb988f517ce9f6d3d4aae39b.jpg
 
Tried out the liner again this morning. Was at the range before sunrise and got set up and waited for some light. I tried 3 different brands, Federal Gold medal target, Remington Target and Eley Sport. Eley won hands down. Here is a five shot target at 50 yards with Eley. The other brands had about 2x the group size. Looks like I will be using Eley or SK standard in the future.

b94e6e0aa252a0436744dd5c0a88ac3d.jpg
 
I tried out the Sharps at 50 yards with Eley Club and my peep sights. Here is a 6 shot group shot on Sunday, I think it is more accurate than I am.

0c49bc4d585cd760367e08527d2dbc7d.jpg
 
Had a great weekend shooting gophers with my son and friend at my parents farm. My son used my 17 hornet and my friend used a 10/22, I used my sharps with 22 liner. We probably shot about 400 and my Sharps kept up very well. Slower to load and my eyes are not as good at finding them in the grass without the scope but it was deadly at all ranges when I did. Only thing more fun than a gopher shoot is a gopher shoot with a sharps.

f5d68ee2d4170337b02a3bea7677f6fa.jpg
 
Geez man, nice work all around!

Sorta pokes them in the eye, the fellas that will tell others that you can't possibly do decent work on a round column mill!

Really like your bed extension for the indexing head, too!

Keep up the great work!

Cheers
Trev
 
Back
Top Bottom