Sharps Model 1878

Road King

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I found this amazing Sharps -Borchart rifle in my my travels a few weeks ago and I am sure it has an interesting history. It was rescued by the present owner from a hunter who was using it to shoot seals :rolleyes:down on the south shore of Nova Scotia. As you can see by the pictures it is engraved by Louis D. Nimsche :). The hard rubber side plates are engraved with a coat of arms and on the opposite side the initials TSD (?), not sure how to read this. I have discovered that a rifle 2 numbers from this serial number was presented to Col. A.S. Tracy , a Congressional Medal of Honor winner in the Civil War. The rifle has been rebarreled and restocked as the barrel that was on it was not an original barrel for the gun when located :(.
I will try and do some some research for the this amazing rifle.

DSC06585.jpg


DSC06580.jpg


DSC06579.jpg


DSC06584.jpg


DSC06583.jpg


DSC06586.jpg


DSC06581.jpg


DSC06587.jpg
 
Apart from a beautiful gun, I wonder how many man hrs., the scroll work on this gun represents?
How much input would the original owner have had in the level of detail and artistic expression exicuted here?
Would the artist be given carte blanc or be under strict control?
 
Well I have been able to trace down some of the history on the Model 1878 Sharps. The gun was shipped from the Sharps factory Oct 19th, 1878 to a Dr. S.T. Dudley (a Sharps user from New York) and a member of the last International Match held at the Dollymount Range in Ireland in June 1880. The gun was in the 2 6/10" (.45/100/550) caliber with a 34" round barrel. The engraving was done by Louis D. Nimschke.:)
Another bit of interesting Sharps news is that the cased rifle (2 numbers earlier then this gun in the post) pictured (commonly refered to as the Tracey Gun) on page 280 & 279 of the Frank Sellers book was stolen a few years ago. While the police were closing in on the theives they took the rifle and threw it in the Ohio River and has never been recovered.:(
 
Back
Top Bottom