Shipping antique rifles via USPS? Anyone done it?

Willy Tincup

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
575   0   1
Location
Owen Sound
Has anyone here imported antique rifles from the US and had them shipped by USPS? Do they have a maximun 36" length limit by USPS? Maybe 1 of the US residents can jump in here.
I'm trying to buy an antique rifle down south and the dealer is telling me he can't ship it USPS because it is longer than 36" and that I will need to use an Exporter. Well, using an US Exporter kills the deal for me! Any experiences or ideas? Thanks ...........Willy
 
I just received a muzzle loader with a 47" barrel, 60" loa, shipped from the U.S. using U.S.P.S. The shipper said he did have a bit of a hassle getting them to accept it, but the fact remains they did. I think they charged him more for the privilege, $55 total.
 
Last edited:
USPS will charge extra for stuff over 36" but will handle it. I have had lots of boxes 62" and even longer sent to me from the USA by USPS and Canada Post.
 
USPS forbid shipping firearms EXCEPT for antique firearms, which are specifically allowed in the USPS regulations. However, as is sometimes the case in Canada, not all the post office people know their own rules and some tend to spout their opinion instead of bothering to look.

I had an antique revolver that a rural post office in Indianna refused to accept from the seller. He drove to the next town and had no problem.
 
Has anyone here imported antique rifles from the US and had them shipped by USPS? Do they have a maximun 36" length limit by USPS? Maybe 1 of the US residents can jump in here.
I'm trying to buy an antique rifle down south and the dealer is telling me he can't ship it USPS because it is longer than 36" and that I will need to use an Exporter. Well, using an US Exporter kills the deal for me! Any experiences or ideas? Thanks ...........Willy

ive shipped app 40 from u.s the post system is the best usually no brokers fees etc
 
I would never have anything shipped by UPS unless the seller won't ship by the postal service. I just bought a part for my neighbour's truck engine (size of a deck of cards) . the business would only ship by UPS! When I got the $50.00 item the brokerage fee was $29.99 plus HST. End price for shipping, brokerage and HST was $130,00. What a rip off. The brokers didn't even open the package. Anything by courier gives the broker a chance to steal your money. Parcel post doesn't come through a broker. Dave
 
UPS did same to me every time the seller used UPS. It seems to me the brokerage must be a business run by some executives' women.
For some resin casting kit, they charge brokerage, duty and hst which in total almost beyond the cost of the kit, though the seller enclosed the document shows it's made in USA. Is there still some NAFTA around?
 
Back
Top Bottom