Shooting antique ammo bad?

vega

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Location
BC Interior
Hey Guys.

When shooting antique ammunition of the outside lubricated type where the lube and bullet have extensively oxidized, would it be expected that damage to the bore would result?
 
I would be more concerned that you get weak loads and a bullet stuck in the bore, because of very old priming/powders.
 
antique ammo

had a problem with some old 38/55 which would hang fire for about a second or so while the primer decided to ignite. similar with some old 38 s&w which actually did not go in some cases. in both cases it was the primer which failed -not the powder.
 
I would anticipate quite a few misfires because of deteriorated primers in antique rimfire shells. I would also strongly suspect corrosive priming and you would be wise to wash the gun similar to you would if shooting black powder. The white lead oxide might or might not be abrasive and can possibly be wiped of with something like a scotchbrite pad.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom