Shooting antiques, pros and cons?

Canuck Bob

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am interested in mid 1800 forward muzzleloaders, both flint and cap, like my current thread on Trade Gift Rifle. Through research there is a large community of folks who shoot originals. Looking for opinions and advice on the reality of doing so?

To be clear I am not talking about shooting rare or significant guns or any non repair modification or refinishing.

Edit: Of course I posted then checked the Stickies!
 
Last edited:
I shoot my original guns if they are shoot able, i have hunted with a Westley Richards 12 bore rifle from 1848
 
I have a number of originals which I shoot and with one exception, the only ones that I don't shoot are the few that I don't consider safe to shoot. The one exception is a flint trade gun which as far as I know, had only one shot fired through it. The trade gun is in such good condition that I don't want to mar it in any way.

Before shooting an antique, I do want to make sure the bore (particularly in shotguns) is not excessively pitted as well as breach plugs, nipples and drums will stand up to shooting. I do almost always replace the nipple(s) and that often that includes chasing out the threads until I get fresh solid metal. It also means that I make my own nipples with threads to match the gun. What you do need to worry about is previous owners jamming in nipples with similar but not the same threads. Most european guns use a thread pitch of 26 per inch vs the common 1/4 28 thread of modern american guns

cheers mooncoon
 
The top pictures are of the single 12 bore rifle and it is a 2 groove barrel and has the 750 grain bullet mold with the gun, i also shot a 750 grain minne in the gun and it seems to work well

The bottom gun is also a Westley Richards double 12 bore rifle, i have also shot this gun but have not hunted with it, this gun came out of India and was used a lot but still shoots

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

IMG_9696.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 611
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 610
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_9696.jpg
    IMG_9696.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 607
Guns were made to be shot.

I understand when people say that replacing a part will be tough if it breaks but as long as the material is sound steel does not change over 150 years. Maybe do not load it to the top and shoot thousands of rounds as the likelihood of having something breaks goes up but guns were made to be shot and in my opinion they should be.

I have an old pistol that I have shot a few times, 135+ years old, very cool.

I also have a number of WWI vintage that are a hoot to shoot and I have an old rimfire that was my grandfathers, making ammo for it, costly and annoying but worth it to put a few holes in paper every so often.
 
As long as its in good condition why not . Finding Ammo can be a problem but thats part of the fun . Nothing like it Squeezing the trigger and Anticipating the bang ! If something looks Sketchy it most likely is have it checked out by a pro . Love seeing and hearing old guns fired . Be safe have fun .
 
I shoot my October 1895 manufactured Swiss model 1882 revolver regularly. It's more accurate than my other modern pistols! My handloads exceed the old factory BP loads by a wide margin but still within pressure limits--it's a crazy well engineered and finished gem! This is a true example of "they don't make them like they used to" ! If they are safe to shoot, shoot them! When you're 90 and ready to meet Jesus, don't look back with regrets.
 
The average age of the shotguns I shoot clays with is easily > 120 years old. I take a different one out each week then start the cycle over in about 8 weeks time. The pro? A person of average means (like me) could not possibly afford such quality if built today. They are a true joy to shoot especially knowing all the parts from screws to barrels were made by hand. Guns from that era were truly the peak of the craft. Delivered by horse-drawn cart. What an honour to shoot them.
The con? Another one comes up for sale and its real hard to resist. Some are hard used, abused, not well-maintained bubba'ed basket cases. Its the high condition guns that are great value should you find one.
 
Yes, everyone loves a photo. It's a sxs 12 ga. E.M. Reilly of London.
1869 year of manufacture. This guy today is largely unknown. At the time was considered the "other Purdey".
No kidding, that gun if made in this century would be far far outside my budget.
gbiHDvp.jpg
 
That's a gorgeous Reilly, Londonshooter.

Long live the old guns! This 16-gauge single-barrel hammer gun was made as a muzzle-loading percussion gun by Thomas Seymour of London (1841-1844), then converted from percussion to centre-fire some time before 1870 (it still has the original non-rebounding lock). The twist-steel barrel was re-proofed for smokeless powder at some point in the 20th century, and it happily consumes modern British 2 1/2 inch shells, as Ontario grouse can attest to. It doesn’t have a serial number, and since it dates from before the days of choke-boring, it has a cylinder bore. It weighs shy of 5 pounds, so the kick is considerable.
 

Attachments

  • Seymour_2a.jpg
    Seymour_2a.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 365
Ohh, I love these postings.

Beautiful guns.

I shoot all my old guns except for my two India Pattern Bess.

I'm sure they are both up to the task, but they are too much of a historical significance to myself to take a chance.

Most of my collection is military.

I have some U.S. Civil War Carbines that are just plain fun to shoot.

My every day shooters are Snider Enfield's.

The best part for me, is stepping into someone else's shoes from a time and era of day's gone buy and reliving the moment.

Thats my personal time machine!

Another thing that draws me to this passion of shooting these for myself is the creation of making old cartridges to fulfil the needs of each of my guns.
 
Last edited:
I shoot my .450 Tranter Army occasionally, even with light smokeless. It's about 95% original condition.

I see lots of 'antique' Winchesters, Marlin and Colt shot in CAS events. These are 'shooter' grade and not collectible. Some guys build one out of several junkers and reline the bores if necessary.
 
I shoot every antique i own. Some once a year, some once a month. Generally i try to shoot anything in mint condition as little as possible, i want to keep them perfect. Also anything that is rare amd can not be replaced easily like a mauser c96 i would keep shooting to a minimim.

I buy guns with this in mind. Some antiques are collectors and some and shooters. I usually know how much i plan to shoot it before i get it.

Thanks
 
I have a Parkhurst coach gun sourced from Utah about six years ago. Its got the goofy and counterfeit wells fargo brass badge, in bore size 10 from about 1884.
However its twenty inch barrels are choked full and extra full, so not a chop job.
It shoots number 4 birdshot like no tomorrow and buck & ball like a freaking slug gun.
Nothing else regarding buckshot seems to work with these chokes.
Nick Makinson browned the barrels for me.
 
Three weeks ago I just shot Whitney Navy revolver for first time. Needed .389 diameter RB from Track of the Wolf. It shot wonderfully tight group at 12 yards. And right to point of aim! Very unusual but pleasant surprise.
15 grains of Swiss FFFG, Ox Yoke wads.
 
Three weeks ago I just shot Whitney Navy revolver for first time. Needed .389 diameter RB from Track of the Wolf. It shot wonderfully tight group at 12 yards. And right to point of aim! Very unusual but pleasant surprise.
15 grains of Swiss FFFG, Ox Yoke wads.

What a wonderful surprise. An antique flintlock pistol sure is on my wishlist but not my debit card.

I've been laid up a bit so sorry for being out of touch. I spent my time on youtube and really enjoyed the blackpowder videos. One of the sites, Britishmuzzleloader, has some very interesting military muzzleloader content. I think he is a fellow Albertan, westerner for sure, and focuses on a lot of detailed history. It's his fault I keep dreaming of a repro 2 band Enfield or an antique Mk III Snider when my Deerstalker should be enough fun! A Hungarian site, Capandball, is also to be blamed, ;-).
 
Back
Top Bottom