Shooting BP .45 Colt

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I just got set up to reload .45 Colt cartridges through an 1873 reproduction SAA and was wondering about how many shots I can take without cleaning the barrel?? With a lot of ammo laid out on the bench it is tempting to just keep on shooting but I don't want to damage the barrel. So far I swab the barrel and cylinder and dry them after every 12 shots just to be safe...is this going overboard.
What is normal practice for shooting black powder cartridge revolvers...any advice appreciated...;)
 
I shoot 45 Colt BP in my original 1878 double action Colt. I use a lube cookie under the bullet so there is plenty of lube with each shot and I don't worry about it. So far I have only fired 30 rounds in one go but that is only because I had 30 rounds with me. You should be able to shoot 50 or more in one go with no problems.
 
I think that I would just pour some water down the barrel (breach to muzzle) and a quick wipe with a patch and do it after roughly every second cylinder. I would not worry about the cylinder. I have shot roughly 25 shots in competition without cleaning (32-20 SAA) and think about the only effect is possibly diminished accuracy and some leading.

cheers mooncoon
 
If you follow the correct reloading procedure and use lots of BP lube, your accuracy should not suffer even if the barrel is dirty as the fouling should be soft and subsequent firing should remove some fouling. I just clean at the end of the day or if the action started to get sluggish, either way you won't do any harm to the barrel, unless you neglect gun when you are finished shooting.
 
Thanks for the information everyone,I am using SPG lube on the bullets when loading...press it in to the lube groove then seat the bullet and crimp.
Really liking this gun/ammo combination in the cold weather as my fingers don't work too good for loading cap and ball at the range,still love those guns but this is a whole new shooting experience.
 
Back
Top Bottom