Shooting my Pedersoli Brown Bess

Dsiwy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
I'm am fairly new to BP and picked up a Pedersoli Brown Bess last fall. I finally had a chance to shoot it at the range with home made 69cal military style paper cartridges. I shot about 40rds through her and had only a few miss fires early on from put to little in the pan. Over all am extremely impressed and at 25m I was getting groupings smaller than my fist :)

The load I was using was 100gr Goex FF with .69 lead ball with paper patch no lube. Cleaning was a breeze and the bore never really fouled up. I think the paper scrubs the bore while loading/firing.

After all the horror stories I read online about flintlocks, I think I might be lucky or doing some thing right :d


18121546_10158434034755618_7413113656876869976_o.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 18121546_10158434034755618_7413113656876869976_o.jpg
    18121546_10158434034755618_7413113656876869976_o.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 374
Right on! Ya they are a riot. You can also load up shot instead of a ball. Flintlock pistols are cool too if you can handle the stupidity of them being restricted.
 
I'm am fairly new to BP and picked up a Pedersoli Brown Bess last fall. I finally had a chance to shoot it at the range with home made 69cal military style paper cartridges. I shot about 40rds through her and had only a few miss fires early on from put to little in the pan. Over all am extremely impressed and at 25m I was getting groupings smaller than my fist :)

The load I was using was 100gr Goex FF with .69 lead ball with paper patch no lube. Cleaning was a breeze and the bore never really fouled up. I think the paper scrubs the bore while loading/firing.

After all the horror stories I read online about flintlocks, I think I might be lucky or doing some thing right :d


View attachment 96839

Very nice, welcome to the flintlock addiction, no cure. I have the same bess from pedersoli, they are great so long as you keep the hammer clean and the flint properly fitted/sharp. If you do that, they go bang almost 100% of the time.

Like stated above as well, try out some buckshot or bird shot, they make great shotguns.
 
I love it! Might need to change the flint soon, but I want to see how long it lasts. The lead wrap seems to be holding it solid.
 
You should be able to get several dozen shots out of a flint. Sometimes much more.
When it stops setting off the priming powder in the pan look at where it is contacting the frizzen and then the corresponding spot on the stone. If there's a rounded edge at that po
int you need to knapp the flint by tapping downward on that spot with a small brass hammer or something similar until you have a sharp edge again. Flints are too expensive and hard to find to give up on too quickly. (Or maybe I'm just a cheap a**)

I'm sure there must be some YouTube video out there but never looked.
 
...After all the horror stories I read online about flintlocks, I think I might be lucky or doing some thing right

As someone that started out in front stuffers with a flintlock I'd say a little bit of luck and a good spoonful of good prep.

You'll run into a few things but nothing you can't fix or modify.

The guys with the smoothbores locally (yours IS a smooth bore, right? Brown Bess'es are supposed to be smooth bores) tend to load strong like you are with the 100 grains of powder or thereabouts but patch fairly snug with lubricated cloth to get the best accuracy out of them.
 
Yes it's a smooth bore, I need to try it with a larger ball and patch one day. Just need to make sure the RSM does not catch me using non military ammo in my Bess :p
 
As someone that started out in front stuffers with a flintlock I'd say a little bit of luck and a good spoonful of good prep.

You'll run into a few things but nothing you can't fix or modify.

The guys with the smoothbores locally (yours IS a smooth bore, right? Brown Bess'es are supposed to be smooth bores) tend to load strong like you are with the 100 grains of powder or thereabouts but patch fairly snug with lubricated cloth to get the best accuracy out of them.

Yeah, I also find I need at least 100 grains and a good patch to get mine to shoot where I'm aiming.
 
What distance and group size are you getting?

I can't pull off shots like murphy's muskets for example, he can get hits where hes aiming at 100 yards or so. I'm able to consistently ring an 8 inch steel plate I have at about 65 yards with mine now, slowly improving, it takes time since I can get slightly flinchy some days.
 
Back
Top Bottom