Shooting the Chassepot 1866

Nabs

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 99.6%
272   1   1
Location
Somewhere...
Hello Gents,

I recently acquired an 1866 Chassepot, 1867 dated at St. Etienne. She is gorgeous and screams for a range trip as her bore is excellent. I have looked online and found three videos that detail the making of your own cartridges as well as a supplier in Sweden that makes many of the reloading pieces required. They are, however, out of stock at the moment and my e-mail inquiring about re-stocking has not been answered yet.

I am wondering, do we have any others on the forum that have shot or actively shoot their Chassepots ? I am hoping to get some different perspectives before I take the plunge and hand load my own paper cartridges. On that note, does anyone know of another supplier, perhaps North America based, that provides reloading tools and supplies ?
 
Hello gents,

green, I'm not sure what that is, is it a black powder loading tool ?

sail, that was the website I was referring to earlier. I haven't had any reply back to my e-mail so I'm going to send another. I hope they re stock their supplies soon as I don't know of another dedicated Chassepot website for parts and supplies.
 
It is the rubber(gutta percha) gasket that fits between the bolt head and body and I see they are in stock in the above link.
 
Ah yes that piece. My Chassepot retains her original rubber gasket along with the firing needle but I would like to replace these with newly made pieces so I can save the originals.

I watched some videos on youtube from a fellow collector where he demonstrates his Chassepot and how he used radiator hose of the proper diameter to serve as good replacement.
 
Back
Top Bottom