Short model Brown Bess reproduction.

Ah, Je ne Francais parle. Said that once and someone tried to correct me, then part way through realized what I had tried to say and got the joke.
As for if it's fireable, I'm no gunsmith, but if you type in BS970 no. 080M40, there's a whole discussion online for if it's shootability. Some talk of shooting them and haven't mentioned any issues. Is a couple of guys on the internet proof 100% of safety? No. I suppose that's why the DS site itself suggests having a gunsmith check it out.
I'm actually surpirsed there isn't a distinct Yay or Nay on the subject.
Is this musket they sell actually from the above French supplier?

Me, I would have thought that the words of the manufacturer - we do NOT make functional firearms, only for decoration or for re-enactment' woud have been clear enough. And, like I pointed out, France is a member of the CIP and ANY funtioning firearm made there MUST be proofed by law. If the object that you possess does not have French proof marks on it, and it was made by the company above, then you do indeed have a wall-hanger or 'shoulder-weight', and to fire it seems to me to be hardy-fool in the extreme.

If a 'gunsmith' 'thinks' that it is OK, and it disintegrates in your face on firing, then that is the risk you take - just make sure that you have a letter from him for your widow to to show to the life-insurance folks and the family lawyer.

However, freedom of will and all that, please continue to do whatever you think is ok by you [shrug].

tac
 
What I was trying to ask is: is the Armea manufacturer quoted the one who made the musket?
I haven't looked extremely hard, but I didn't see where it had listed the origin of the musket. If armae is the supplier, then listen to what they say. If not, then wouldn't that change things?
From what I have read about safe pressures and such, BS970 no. 080M40 is equivalent to AISI 1040, which has a tensile strength of 89,000 psi.
I'd appreciate someone who knows a thing or two about musket pressures to chime in, as all we seem to have right now is internet stats, which can be quite misleading to say the least. All that I know comes from the web.

I was shooting lead ball out of muskets the other day with a bunch of re-enactor buddies, I'll ask them where they got theirs.

Not trying to get into an argument, I'm genuinly interested to find out if the muskets that DS sells are fireable or not.
 
LOL, not sure if it is the french/english thing or if it is a read slower thing. The link/quote I posted above is from what I assume to be a French Association of reenactors/arms collectors. The quote I included is a "warning" made by the French Association (NOT THE SUPPLIER) in the warning the Association Quotes the Supplier's description. I take it one of these guns let go in 2010 and they are warning about the materials. THEY ARE NOT MADE OF AISI 1040. Someone somewhere on the Internet CLAIMS that BS970 no. 080M40 is similiar to 1040. Do not transcribe the properties of inspected 1040 to what ever these guns are made of. If they are in fact safe to shoot I would at least put a caveat on it that a first time black powder shooter with no experience is likely not qaulified to make that decision (nor am I) and that the internet is likely not the place to look for eyeball risking answers.
Take the breech plug out for a start and post some pics.
 
A bit of follow up. Muskets supplied from Discriminating General have been drilled and proofed by the owner of H&S Cannon Co, the Lions Den Arms and Antiques. He's also a gunsmith who's done work on my musket. Does this mean all of thier muskets can be drilled at home and fired? No, it's still important to have a gunsmith do the work and prove that it can handle the bang.
 
THEY ARE NOT MADE OF AISI 1040. Someone somewhere on the Internet CLAIMS that BS970 no. 080M40 is similiar to 1040. Do not transcribe the properties of inspected 1040 to what ever these guns are made of.

That's what I get for listening to the interwebs. The problem with google searches is that anyone can say anything.

That being said, if you're looking for re-enacting muskets, my Franken-musket (Discriminating General barrel with a 'non matching' lock put on the same stock) been used for over 10 years and still holds strong so long as the flint and frizzen agree. If you're interested in War of 1812 Re-enacting, there's no better time than the Bi-centennial to get into it.
 
been used for over 10 years and still holds strong so long as the flint and frizzen agree

Yeah do not get me wrong I am pretty sure the guys in India want to keep thier jobs and maintain access to the western $s so I do not doubt that these guns mostly are fine but for sure I'd want to look at the tube/threads/plug real good for a long time before moving along to the 20 foot string test. BTW to get that vent hole in the right place you gotta at least think in that plug so might as well screw it out.
 
I note that Loyalist Arms sells functionning firearms. Might be worth looking at their product line.
 
Back
Top Bottom