Shot my Antiques for the first time.

this is a copy of the email they sent me when i was asking for shipping info


> From: bufarms5
> To: cncknives
> Subject: Re: Buffalo Arms Co. Feedback
> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:31:26 -0700
>
> We cannot ship ammo outside the US. You would have to go thru an exporter.
> We would be happy to sell you bullets, ammunition, barrels, brass, and
> firearms , however there are considerable hoops to jump through.
>
> We can only ship to a U.S. address
> We can only ship fireamrs to a business with a FFL. If they have that, we
> need a copy of it with their phone number.
>
> If this is not the case, we must go through an exporter which you must
> arrange and pay for. They can be VERY expensive.
>
> Exporters we have used are:
>
> Leroy's Big Valley Gun Works
> Box 22, 527-2nd Avenue North
> Glasgow, Montana 59230 USA
> Phone: 406-228-4867
>
> ETSS
> 110 S. 7th St. Unit D
> P.O. Box 539
>
> Hotchkiss, CO 81419
>
>
> Phone: 970-872-3770
> Fax: 970-872-3757
> Email: etssusa@usa. net
> Web: etssincusa.com
>
>
>
> High Bridge Arms Incorporated
>
> 3185 Mission St
>
> San Francisco, CA 94110
>
> (415) 643-9255 highbridgearms.com
>
> Info on shipping a gun to Canada can be found at
> losttarget.com/firearmlaws.html#CANADAUS
>
>
> Please let us know what you want to do.
>
> Buffalo Arms Co.
 
I got the .41 Colt dies from Buffalo arms, the only place I found to have them in stock and who shipped to Canada.
 
CH4D tool and die will still ship dies to Canada . Also Gads custom cartridges will ship dies and maybe still some brass don't buy his cast bullets they are not much good.
 
man. i think i am going to start casting my own bullets. i made fishing weight before. so i sure this would be the same. after seeing how much bullets where after shipping cost. i would be nutz not to case my own.
 
man. i think i am going to start casting my own bullets. i made fishing weight before. so i sure this would be the same. after seeing how much bullets where after shipping cost. i would be nutz not to case my own.
You are right about that. Start collecting wheel weights from your local tire shops and cast your own. I do it on an ordinary camp stove using a cheap cooking pot I bought at the store. I use a Lyman ladle to pour it into the mould. Bullets you cast yourself are cheap like borscht.
 
You are right about that. Start collecting wheel weights from your local tire shops and cast your own. I do it on an ordinary camp stove using a cheap cooking pot I bought at the store. I use a Lyman ladle to pour it into the mould. Bullets you cast yourself are cheap like borscht.

well right now i have 300lb's of new lead so that should get me started lol. i am going to do it with a old steel pot like you do.
 
Went out again with them.

Gave the Universal another try and tried out some Unique loads. Did 4.0gr, 4.2gr & 4.4gr with both powder in each gun. Still had issues with some unburnt powders left in all the cases. Unique gave better speed, high average of 626fps vs Universal 544fps.

I also made a much better crimping tool, like a little die, that bolts to a pair of pliers.

Chambering the rounds gets difficult quickly in the DA.

I have some 777 coming I will try next in the SAA, maybe the DA too.

Shot at same distance of about 12 yards.

5l47ie.jpg


o0576c.jpg
 
got some pic's of your better crimping tool?

Here is my new crimping tool. I got the idea from pics I found in a search on the net.

I made the die out of stainless steel on a lathe basically using two drill bits. The first bores nearly through at about a 0.405" diameter, slightly bigger than the case. The next is slightly smaller, I used a U-sized (0.368" according to the net but I swear the bit I used was 0.376 or so and marked U) bit. I would have also tried a W-sized (0.386") bit but didn't have time to make a second.

This bit is bored completely through starting off in the first hole. I then flipped the piece around and trimmed off material until I had a nice little ridge left, which you can see in the third photo.

I craptastically cut it in 'half' at home with a hacksaw, and bolted it to an $8 pair of Canadian Tire pliers. As you can see I had to dremel/file material off the pliers to make clearance for the bullet.

I used a dremel and sized down the ridge slightly after testing it, this is why I would liked to have made a second using the W-sized bit, I think it would have worked fine to begin with.

I crimp by holding the rim of the round and giving a little squeeze, then spinning it and repeating several times. An example of the crimp I get is pictured at the bottom.

2q89cuf.jpg


30k4xud.jpg


11abgyg.jpg


8vnl3p.jpg
 
Very well done so when are you going into production there is a few 41 shooters here who could use a pair
 
Don't know about production, they are simple enough to make, maybe even could be CNC'd.

Went out again, this time with 777. Shot 15 rounds and got an average FPS of 726, pretty close to the original .41 Colt speed. The smoke was cool :cool:. Nice muzzle flash I could see as I fired it, I'd love to see someone else fire it just to see the muzzle flash. Not as accurate as my smokeless loads but more consistent in FPS. Fun to shoot but made the gun real dirty.

2wn9q93.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom