Shot size

stusks

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Location
Coquitlam, BC
Not sure whether this would go in Ammo or the Hunting category. What shot size would be recommended to shoot grouse? Anybody have recommendations on manufacturers?

Thanks
 
I use #6 for wingshooting them.
Dan

I agree, #6 is the shot to use for those wiley grouse on the wing.

Ive shot, and got a few that Ive lead, followed through with the swing and trigger pull, but a tree or branch got in the way... you would think you missed for all the debris in the way... often theres a grouse flapping its wings for the last time on the ground... thanks to # 6 shot in a heavy load.:D
 
I use 6 to 7 1/2 shot for grouse, sometimes I mix the two for my reloads. Grouse are not tough birds and it only takes a few pellets to bring them down. I mostly use my .410 with less than 7/8 oz load. A 12 gauge works fine but don't go heavy on the load as its easy to blow up your bird.
 
28ga and 3/4 oz of #6 or #7.5 @ 1200fps is my preferred load

I use a skeet choke, works like magic!

I roll my own but if you're not reloading, choose the brand your gun likes the best. The only way to tell is by buying a box and patterning it (ie: shoot a clean target that is big enough to contain the shot pattern) and with the choke you're going to hunt with - at the distance you expect to shoot them at. If you don't like the pattern, buy another box and try again. Get to know your gun and how it performs at different distances with a given load. Doing this will let you know the point of impact (POI) of your shotgun - your test results might surprise you!

Good luck! SD
 
I shoot 6's for all my upland hunting, I have picked up birds that would have carried off a single number 8 pellet but fall to a number 6.

7 1/2's work well too and I have killed a good number of birds with them. Comes down to personal preference.
 
Thanks guys for the suggestions. At least now, I have some kind of idea.


28ga and 3/4 oz of #6 or #7.5 @ 1200fps is my preferred load

I use a skeet choke, works like magic!

I roll my own but if you're not reloading, choose the brand your gun likes the best. The only way to tell is by buying a box and patterning it (ie: shoot a clean target that is big enough to contain the shot pattern) and with the choke you're going to hunt with - at the distance you expect to shoot them at. If you don't like the pattern, buy another box and try again. Get to know your gun and how it performs at different distances with a given load. Doing this will let you know the point of impact (POI) of your shotgun - your test results might surprise you!

Good luck! SD

This is very interesting. I have never done this. I will try it next time I'm at the range. There is a section beside the trap shoot range specifically for this purpose.
 
i use #6 in my 20 inch coach gun with open chokes, winchester Basic heavy game loads, 1 1/8 oz, shot birds at 5 to 25 yards and worked good, not the best gun for grouse but works for me.:D
 
Back
Top Bottom