Shotgun Shell Question

Drachenblut

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
91   0   1
Location
Smithers, B.C.
Hello All,

I have a newb question. A guy told me recently to use "Low-Brass" shells in my new shotgun to work it in... what's the difference between Low and High brass? Pressures?

Thanks
 
It's an old school term for "light loads". High brass shells used to denote more powerful, or 'magnum' loads. However, the height of the brass on the shell doesn't denote power anymore like it used to. You'll notice target loads have the brass really low, but that's more to cut cost.

I would counter the advise you got and use more powerful loads (3 dram +) to break in. Either way, just shoot what you have!!!
 
That's more of an older term, but low brass shells were usually target type loads with lighter shot charges and high brass shells were heavy loads. The line is blurred a bit now as some outfits use the same brass for target loads and 2 3/4" steel loads. None of this of course has anything to do with the strength or durability of the actual hull, as there is no diff. between high or low brass.
 
Thank you very much for the information. I have a box of old sporting shotun shells here, Winchesters that are so old they say "In new improved PLASTIC"... Should I keep or shoot these?
 
Back
Top Bottom