Shotgun slugs

Wolfbastion

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a search and found surprisingly very little on 12g slugs.


I have a few questions

1.I have 2 Barrells for my 870 super mag. a 30 inch barrrel with interchangable threaded choke tubes and a 18.5 smooth bore no choke barrell. I know the 18.5 is good to go but how about my 30 in. My instructor on pal said that slugs shot through a choke would rupture the barrell cause dmg/death etc. However wiki states that lead slugs are deasigned to be shot through chokes. As well my friend says even with the choke removed i could damege myself or the barrell because of the threads in the barrell.

2.The slugs i bought are labbeld 12 g 2, 3/4 1oz rifled slugs. I assume that rifled slugs are ment for smooth bore barrelss and non rifled slugs are meant for rifleld barrels.

Any help on this would be greatly appreaciated. I just want to make sure i understand all of the safety concerns with slugs and that i dont hurt myself or my firearm.
 
1.I have 2 Barrells for my 870 super mag. a 30 inch barrrel with interchangable threaded choke tubes and a 18.5 smooth bore no choke barrell. I know the 18.5 is good to go but how about my 30 in. My instructor on pal said that slugs shot through a choke would rupture the barrell cause dmg/death etc. However wiki states that lead slugs are deasigned to be shot through chokes. As well my friend says even with the choke removed i could damege myself or the barrell because of the threads in the barrell.

Your instructor was an Ignoramus, you can shoot rifled slugs out of any choke except the Xtra full Turkey chokes.

NEVER shoot your shotgun without a choke tube installed it will screw up the thread for the choketubes.

2.The slugs i bought are labbeld 12 g 2, 3/4 1oz rifled slugs. I assume that rifled slugs are ment for smooth bore barrelss and non rifled slugs are meant for rifleld barrels.

You are correct.
 
I've fired standard Remington 1 1/8 oz rifled slugs and my own 1oz Lee Key (Foster-Style) Slugs out of my Remington 870 and 11-87 with modified chokes. No damage in either case though you may find different chokes may yield different accuracies.
 
Thanks, this makes alot of sense now as i was really confused at the descrepency between wiki and what my instructor claimed.

its going to be a hard sell with trying to convince my friends as they are sure that slug + choke = death. lol my one friend even thinks that steel shot + choke= death.
 
My Mossberg535 came with a smooth barrel and a rifled barrel. With the rifled barrel you shoot Sabot slugs. With the smooth bore came three chokes. 1. Full choke--lead shot. 2. Improved choke--Slugs. 3. Modified Improved--Steel shot. That is from the owners manual.
 
Almost forgot, Full choke plus steel shot might not mean death but it will probably pooch your barrel. The steel shot will not compress in the confines of a full choke like lead does. So at best the barrel will bulge towards the end from the pressure as all those little steel balls jamming up the end, or the end of the barrel will expand in a scary way [blow up] to let the shot out.
 
THREAD JACK!

Just bought my first shotgun. Love my remington 870 express, 18" barrel, 2 round extension.
Now, I bought 100rds of winchester super target as the store had it on sale. great price, couldn't say no for just plinking at the range. They asked if I wanted 7 1/2 lead or 8 lead for my rounds.

What the heck is the difference? Does the lead content really make a difference? I went for 7 1/2 cause that's what she grabbed first. *shrugs*
 
The difference between 7 1/2 and 8 is the amount of pellets per ounce and penetration. #4 has much less pellets per ounce but extends your range for bigger birds like mallards. 7 1/2 is good for lighter birds like chickens and grouse. 8 is a target load.

As for the 870 shooting slugs, I've tried a few different makes and sizes and some shoot better than others. If you can hit a plastic milk jug full of water at 75 yards, you're doing ok, if not, try a different slug or weight. Don't expect much accuracy past 100 yards. They drop fast and loose a lot of energy.
 
I am not a fan of rifled slugs. Have you looked into getting a rifled barrel for you gun. You will get better accuracy.

Im thinking of going in this direction later on.For now i just wanted to try them out befour spending much money on it.

And now that i think of it i think i did read that about steel shot and full choke. Hmmm lots of stuff to remembre to stay safe.
 
The difference between 7 1/2 and 8 is the amount of pellets per ounce and penetration. #4 has much less pellets per ounce but extends your range for bigger birds like mallards. 7 1/2 is good for lighter birds like chickens and grouse. 8 is a target load.

As for the 870 shooting slugs, I've tried a few different makes and sizes and some shoot better than others. If you can hit a plastic milk jug full of water at 75 yards, you're doing ok, if not, try a different slug or weight. Don't expect much accuracy past 100 yards. They drop fast and loose a lot of energy.

huh...thanks for the info! Looks like my next 100rds will be 8 lead.
 
Back
Top Bottom