Should I Arma-Coat An Antique colt Saa ?? With lots of History/Papers

starpuss

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.6%
146   2   0
Do you think this is too nice to Arma-Coat. (I was thinking flat black) I was going to Re hot blue/case color it but I don’t think it will hold up to what I want to use it for.

I plan on using it when I go camping/hunting/fishing/hiking/kayaking and lots of time when I go out I get rained on. or the kayak gets filled with water. And some times I am 5-10 km from the truck.

there is Lots of Cold Blue touch ups on it right now. but no pits

nothing is original no more, new barrel and cylinder was installed "at colt" in the 1950's also looks like new hammer and maybe other parts.

8929.jpg

5660.jpg


they dont look that bad lol...:puke:

youknowyouwantone.jpg
 
Last edited:
Don' t coat it with anything but oil, don't carry it around, too valuable and will be rare and collectible. Buy a Ruger for putzing around, it's stronger and avail. in more powerful cals. and can be loaded to much higher levels. Save the Colt for occasional range use.
 
i got the gun to shoot! and the lockup and bore is mint! so it will not be used for occasional range use lol...

i picked up 500rd's of Wolf 38 Special 158gr RNFP Cowboy Action ammo from SFRC for under $150.00 so she will be shot a lot seeing how cheap ammo is.

the Gun has LOTS of history and lots of papers with it so it will be hard to do this to.

also the Arma-Coat should NOT cover up the markings on the gun.
 
Black powder frame in .38 special means barrel is not orig., so as long as the caliber is powerful enough for your use, go for it.....at first i thought that the gun was all original.
 
Keeping in mind that many Grizzleys have been found with multiple .38 special rounds in them, and they survived.
Too bad it isn't a .44.
Nice gun though!
 
Keeping in mind that many Grizzleys have been found with multiple .38 special rounds in them, and they survived.
Too bad it isn't a .44.
Nice gun though!


If i wanted to i can make it a 44 special for FREE seeing i have the parts. (new cylinder and barrel)

but 38 special ammo 500rds for $150.00 is why i like the 38
 
That is completely up to you SP.
If you want to carry it for protection against critters, and you had the parts I would go with the biggest caliber I could.
For wilderness carry ATC, minimum caliber is .44 magnum.
For once, I agree with a Govt. regulation.
;0)
 
Unfortunately even a heavily loaded .44 Special, let alone .38 Special (the smaller bore means pressure climbs rapidly), will make that 120 year old frame nothing but a pricey hand grenade. Honestly, you're better off with a short shotgun. I'm into antique SAA's too, have an original .455, but they're novelty guns. The .38's that are safe to fire out of that frame are powder puffs that won't hurt a bear one bit without ridiculous dumb luck. I definitely wouldn't shoot factory .38 out of a 1889 frame, good luck there.
 
Unfortunately even a heavily loaded .44 Special, let alone .38 Special (the smaller bore means pressure climbs rapidly), will make that 120 year old frame nothing but a pricey hand grenade. Honestly, you're better off with a short shotgun. I'm into antique SAA's too, have an original .455, but they're novelty guns. The .38's that are safe to fire out of that frame are powder puffs that won't hurt a bear one bit without ridiculous dumb luck. I definitely wouldn't shoot factory .38 out of a 1889 frame, good luck there.


it has 1950's colt cylinder and barrel so it will be fine for light loads like the cowboy action loads. lots of guys shoot them with that.

and all we have is black bears so this will be fine. (most of them will run away well before i need to shoot.)

also.. Factory loads for Cowboy Action Shooting range from 700 to 850 fps right? witch is close to what the gun was made for.


but this is NOT the point of this thread...
 
Starpuss, you have a neat gun there despite the mixed parts. I think it looks nice the way it is especially for if your going to go tromping in the woods. I personally would do what Ben suggested, oil her up and giver.
 
Starpuss, I am green with envy!

Beautiful old arm!!


-And as to the origional question......hey its your arm, but I bet you will regret it in short order if you do armacoat it.
 
Bad advice on the Ruger, unless you want to lose all your guns.
This is canada not USA, antique only in the bush.


Don' t coat it with anything but oil, don't carry it around, too valuable and will be rare and collectible. Buy a Ruger for putzing around, it's stronger and avail. in more powerful cals. and can be loaded to much higher levels. Save the Colt for occasional range use.
 
Back
Top Bottom