Show off your muzzleloading shotguns

chasseur

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.9%
90   1   0
Location
, Nova Scotia
Here's mine

Pedersoli Mortimer flint
Pedersoli Baker
Investarms gallyon also known as the euroarms magnum Cape gun
image.jpg


I also plan on adding the new pedersoli double flint down the rod

image.jpg
 
Tagged so I can find again.
Nice guns and photos - great idea for thread!
Shot my percussion cap sxs for first time couple weeks ago. Had so much fun that another is on the way in the mail. Pics to follow.
Looking forward to seeing what others are shooting.
 
16ga James Wilkinson, September, 1822.
003.jpg
Cogswell and Harrison 12 gauge, ca. 1870.
037.jpg
English 14 gauge gun (post 1855 proofs, so fairly late) compared with Belgian 8 gauge.
001.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 350
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 352
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 350
54wBHtA.jpg


3S74Ze5.jpg


this second one is made by H Egg who was either the son or grandson of Durs Egg. The son and grandson both had the same name and I think both made guns.

VA6AISt.jpg


WPi4uoG.jpg


cheers mooncoon
 
Last edited:
British lockmakers did remarkable work.

002.jpg

006.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 314
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 315
strange, that little ring piece on the lockplate that surrounds the vent. I don't think that I have ever seen one before

cheers mooncoon


That ring fits against the barrel; the frizzen is fitted to the ring. Part of the "waterproofing" of the lock, I suppose. There is a tight fit between the lock and barrel, and the fit of the frizzen never changes, nor can it scuff the barrel.

The wood at the breech is overlaid with silver to protect it.

018.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Thanks MCoon, I love the striking pattern of the barrels on your Purdey! Also have a serious want for a high condition flintlock like that Wilkinson. One of my mentors competes with similar guns at the nationals in Indiana.
 
The Purdey has vented breach plugs meaning that there is a small hole in the center of each "blow out plug" For a right handed shooter, the right barrel is not a problem but the left barrel lightly peppers my forearm. I would replace it with a solid plug but there does not appear to be enough metal to thread a solid plug into. I think the original reason for the hole was that it was supposed to reduce back pressure when the cap went off and therefore get more flame to the powder

cheers mooncoon
 
These get hunted every year.
The O/U is a Berreta tri centennial model 1000 made in 19800 for their 300 year anniversary
The underlever was my Granddad's 16 gauge Lafaucheux that I had a friend restore back to hunting condition
Although not a muzzle loader it is pretty cool!
plSaYca.jpg
qwKyQUo.jpg

qgKzs5h.jpg

This one is my Son's gun which was bequeathed to him by my father
We bought it for Dad in 1967 for Father's Day- shoots as super as it looks!
Cat
 
Last edited:
Wish I had spots to hunt pheasant like that around here. The gun below is a strange one. Wide ribs must have been a localized fad somewhere for a while because I have only seen one other complete gun, made by McNaughton if my memory is correct, and I have a second set of barrels similar to this gun but the rib is about 1/8" narrower

cheers mooncoon

CDcM0jt.jpg


UwbewPC.jpg


tVvZb9b.jpg
 
Last edited:
I remember that shotgun Mooncoon and the discussion we had about the striking similarity of the ribs and the engraving on my son's gun and yours although they are two different makes!!
Cat
 
Here are some of my shotguns, top gun is a Samuel Nock, second is a Barrnet converted from flint then a Trulock and sons and last is a French gun made buy Houdier.

The back locks on the Trulock are a different style them most back locks and the locks off the French gun show good quality

IMG_0108.jpg


IMG_0107.jpg


IMG_0109.jpg


IMG_0110.jpg


IMG_0111.jpg


IMG_0112.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 111
I think the inside of some of the better locks are as attractive or more so than the outside. One thing that I do wonder about is the range of quality of guns made by Nock and other makers. I did some work on a single barrel Nock several years ago and the inside while not spectacular, was still quite a bit better than average. More recently I bought a gun with just Nock on the locks and on the inside they were just average Birmingham locks. Both guns had British Proofs on them, which leaves me to wonder if Samuel Nock produced both run of the mill guns plus high quality or if mine was a relative of Samuel?

cheers mooncoon
 
Terrible photos plus I still have challenges with Imgur. The first two photos are of a single barrel Nock fowler that the owner did not want to trade to me :>( :>( The third photo is of the right and left locks on the double that I hope to make a flinter out of. The original barrels are too thin and too rough to bring back to functional but hope springs eternal.

Main point is that the first lock is a lot more ornate inside than the second gun. I suspect that at least some of the famous makers may have made some economy grade guns because there was probably a bigger market for them and it may have been easier to get paid for them. I am under the impression that some of the "wealthy" class dragged their feet quite a bit when it came to paying for what they ordered. Also just noticed that there are actually 3 different Nocks in this post; the first one is clearly Samuel Nock, the second one is H Nock and the final one is just Nock

cheers mooncoon

Sih4RVl.jpg


pNVYLaM.jpg


BK5oFic.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom