side by side

dirkdigler

Regular
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's some pics of an old side by side I have. From what i've been able to find it was a department store gun. its missing one of the firing pins and bore is a bit ruff but all around in pretty good shape.


IMG_0417.jpg
IMG_0412.jpg
IMG_0390.jpg
IMG_0386.jpg
IMG_0384.jpg
IMG_0371.jpg
[/IMG]
 
Last edited:
also appears to be missing its image :>)

If it is in photobucket, click on the bottom choice in the window below the image then paste into your message

cheers mooncoon
 
Hey, got some focus there, please? Can't be me, as the rest of the page is nice and sharp.

I can see 'THE INTERNATIONAL' and 'MACHINE MADE', but what about all the proof marks that should be on this old gun? Look around the water-table/action flats, and show us what you find. I strongly suppect that it is Belgian, so look for the letters ELG in an oval and a couple of other marks - Crown over a letter and so on...

tac
 
I don't recall seeing "machine made" stamped on anything other than belgian guns. As tacfoley says check the bottom of the barrels at the breach for proof marks. Pre 1898 Belgium is an oval with ELG* in it while a crown over the same stamp is post 1898. You may also see inspection marks of a peron which looks like a miniature Eiffel Tower and / or a symbol that looks like a double british pound sign

cheers mooncoon
 
I found a few proof marks under the barrel inside the action it was hard to see with out taking the barrel off but it looks like an R and like mooncoon said an eiffel tower.

IMG_0416.jpg
 
Last edited:
On your particular gun, although there is no good photo of the area, I can't see any sign of a latch or catch on the bottom of the forestock. Unless I am mistaken if you pull down on the muzzle end of the forend, it should come off and you can then remove the barrels. It probably has some form of spring loaded catch to hold the forend on and if so the forend more or less snaps on or off as the case may be

cheers mooncoon
 
the not for ball means that it is choke bored but seemingly only on the left barrel. I think that stamping was used between 1875 and sometime in the mid 1880s. Prior to 1875, more or less, all guns were open bored and people could shoot shot or ball from them.

cheers mooncoon
 
I have a pre-1895 shotgun just like this one. It's belgian too.

What can anyone tell me about them? From what I understand they were sold at stores like Sears and such? Not exactly a collectors firearm?
 
Back
Top Bottom