Sights are way off

MaxKW

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
271   0   0
Location
Timmins,On
I realize these are antiques but never the less I get so frustrated having to guess where my bullets are going to hit, at 25 yrds i'm 2-3 feet high and 2-3 feet to the left. How do you guys get around this or do you just live with it?
 
All my fixed sight revolvers seem to be shooting way high at the very least, Reichsrevolver 1883 and an Iver Johnson American bulldog to name a few.

Shooting a lighter bullets is known to help but with 500 of the 240gr bullets already in my gun room I would like to use them up.
 
I did shoot alot of modern pistols but now I live to far from the range. The elevation on the one I was playing with today was dead on at my 115 yard steel plate.
 
aim lower kuntucky windage

i think most military revolvers and older revolvers where sighted for a longer range then normal for today's handguns


Ill x2 this, for example service colt open tops are basically sighted in at longer then musket range, maybe even p.o.a at 50 yards onwards to 100.
 
I'm still a little sceptical of the logic, but I read in an older gunsmithing manual about how lighter charges allow recoil to effect the POA before the bullet exits the bbl.
As I said, "I'm sceptical of the logic" but I do notice the lighter charged wheelguns do hit quite higher than the POA
 
I'm still a little sceptical of the logic, but I read in an older gunsmithing manual about how lighter charges allow recoil to effect the POA before the bullet exits the bbl.
As I said, "I'm sceptical of the logic" but I do notice the lighter charged wheelguns do hit quite higher than the POA

heavier bullets will often shoot higher because of more recoil.
 
I'm still a little sceptical of the logic, but I read in an older gunsmithing manual about how lighter charges allow recoil to effect the POA before the bullet exits the bbl.
As I said, "I'm sceptical of the logic" but I do notice the lighter charged wheelguns do hit quite higher than the POA

That's how it works in every handgun I've ever shot - modern, old, wheelgun, auto. Faster bullets shoot lower, lighter bullets shoot lower, and faster lighter bullets shoot lower yet. 9mm, 44, 357, .45 and .22 - all my handguns acted just as you describe. Even my M1886 45-70 shoots lower with faster loads.

To the OP: 2-3 ft high at 25 yards is higher than normal and I'd hazard a guess either your gun is out of whack somehow, or your load is extremely light. POI is determined by your load. You don't say what your load or your gun are so it's impossible to say any more about it unless you can squeeze out some more details.

I have got a couple of webleys shooting "almost" dead on at 25 yards by using a 185 gr swc soft lead bullet loaded to 800+ fps.
This same revolver shot about a foot high at 20 yards with the 250 and 265 gr bullets loaded to 650-700 fps
 
Last edited:
The particular pistol i'm playing with at the moment is a Reichsrevolver in 44 special, the load is 6gr of sr-7625 behind a 240gr SWC for about 800fps, that speed is based of loading manuals.

The theory behind the different loads hitting at different POI is that the heavier/slower loads will remain in the barrel longer giving the recoil time to act on the pistol slightly before the bullet exits the muzzle, a faster/lighter bullet exits before the muzzle has lifted very much from recoil.

On another forum I came across a thread where the OP complains about a revolver in 44 mag shooting very high, he considers modifying the sights or sending it back for warranty, upon calling the manufacturer the said the sights were regulated for full house 44 mag loads, after switching to mag loads from the light 44 special loads he was using to sight in it was shooting nice groups at POA.
 
Back
Top Bottom