Single Shot 45/70?

BlackPowderBurner

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
125   0   3
Location
the chesterfield
I'm looking at getting a single shot 45/70 as my next fun gun, I love black powder cartridges and the power you can milk out of them.

My budget is right around $450 and I'm fully expecting to buy used, does anyone have any suggestions for me in terms of make and model? Are there certain brands to stay away from?
 
I don't own one so I can't speak for the actual quality, handling aspects and so on but the H&R 45-70 Buffalo Classic may be one possible option. They pop up for sale on the EE here on occasion and are in the price range you have in mind.
 
Your budget is really to low to get into a 45-70 right now. Brass alone is a buck a pop.

You might get lucky and score a buffalo classic from someone who just wants it gone. You don't need to worry about avoiding other brands, because there's truly nothing in that price range.
 
There's two ways I can think of. First is patiently wait to find a Buffalo Classic. The other way is to buy one of the rolling block rifles from Tradex and shift from .45-70 to shooting the stock cartridge that they come chambered in.

If you buy now I see that they have a good selection of sporterized rolling blocks in 50-70. And Rusty Wood Trading shows 50-70 brass as being in stock. And I see that Tradex lists it as well.

The other option would be one chambered in the 12.7x44R. But I don't see any brass listed for that size. So that could be a problem if it isn't available.

Outside of these options your budget is not going to allow you to play I'm afraid.
 
Might watch out for a martini in 577-450. Lots of fun, but brass and dies are high to get started. Might find a rolling block but I think you might have to put off the purchase till a few more bucks come your way. The Buffalo Classic has good reviews also.
 
Might watch out for a martini in 577-450. Lots of fun, but brass and dies are high to get started. Might find a rolling block but I think you might have to put off the purchase till a few more bucks come your way. The Buffalo Classic has good reviews also.

Now there's an idea, I picked up a set of dies for 577/450 a few days ago for $30 just to have them so maybe a Martini would make more sense!
 
The Martini action isn't permitted for long range cowboy action because it does not have an exposed hammer. But if this is just for you to enjoy then the Martini action is a really great way to go. Lots of charisma!

I see them out there for around $600 at the bottom end of the price range. But if you're patient and willing to buy mostly a good bore that has a crusty looking outer finish you should be able to find one for something around that. A little more than you were hoping for I know.

Bullets are hard to find and expensive when you do. So you'll likely want to get into casting your own pretty early on if you go this route.

Have you thought about just going with a nice caplock front stuffer? Your budget will buy you a pretty nice one and then you don't have the brass and dies issue to deal with.
 
The Martini action isn't permitted for long range cowboy action because it does not have an exposed hammer. But if this is just for you to enjoy then the Martini action is a really great way to go. Lots of charisma!

I see them out there for around $600 at the bottom end of the price range. But if you're patient and willing to buy mostly a good bore that has a crusty looking outer finish you should be able to find one for something around that. A little more than you were hoping for I know.

Bullets are hard to find and expensive when you do. So you'll likely want to get into casting your own pretty early on if you go this route.

Have you thought about just going with a nice caplock front stuffer? Your budget will buy you a pretty nice one and then you don't have the brass and dies issue to deal with.

I already have flinters and a caplock, I'm looking for some blackpowder cartridge fun! I've been casting musket balls for a while now so that's taken care of when it comes to reloading.
Would bringing up one of those Nepal Cache Martinis from IMA scratch this itch? I've been hesitant because I can't choose one myself... which led me to questing for a used new production budget priced 45/70!

I guess the solution here is waiting for my fun money jar to fill up a bit more and find a crusty, decent bore Martini!
 
Buffalo Classic is a great gun, nice long barrel for balance and higher velocities, super strong action, easy to clean if you shoot black and idiot proof. Fill the hole in the buttstock with lead shot and it will help balance the gun.
 
The reports I've read about the Nepal guns paint them as mostly being either beyond economical repair or at the very least needing a fair amount of work. There are better examples but those are not the ones going for cheap.

Because of the history surrounding the older antiques it's the sort of thing I'd want to handle and inspect before buying. Or know that I'm getting a gun from someone like Tradex that has a well known reputation for their descriptions being honest to a fault if not a trifle pessimistic. That way you know what you're getting will be what you expect.

Local gun shows are often a place to find such treasures. It's where I found a decent, but not perfect, rolling block in .38-55 for $600. And most of the shops that take in consignments see a small but steady trickle of older antique single shots flowing through the shop as well. Perhaps leave your name and number or email with a few such places with some options for what you're after? Between that and local gun shows I'll bet something will turn up.

And if you have not put one there already a WTB post on the EE under the antique and black powder section might be worth it as well.
 
I picked up a stainless steel H&R Ultra-Hunter Handi-rifle in 45-70 on the EE last year for about $450ish if I recall correctly.
I like it !
They are no longer made unfortunately but if you keep your eyes open you may be able to score one on here. I suspect they are getting a bit more of a premium these days.
 
I bought 2 martins recently for under 400 at gun shows.the asking price seems to be 450 for most of them ,just my observation.
The cognizenti on British Military Arms actually recommend the Nepali ones and the one I have is my best shooter.577 450 cartridge is a real PITA however
 
You get what you pay for .... Pedersoli Trapdoors look pretty good these days. I've got a pair oif H&R Trapdoors and they are great hunting/fun guns, the way they flip the brass.

The ultimate single shot BPCR is a Shiloh. Ask me how I know .....
 
....577 450 cartridge is a real PITA however

I'm always a bit shocked at how a caliber that still has so many antique rifles around is so poorly supported for brass and bullets.

I suppose it's partly due to the lack of an external hammer that keeps it out of SASS events. Even so there's numerous shootable Martini rifles around and one would think that there would be more support for this cartridge.
 
Perhaps the reason is that it kicks like the proverbial mule with the service load of 85 grs powder and 450 gr bullets. Being a BN case, adds to the thrust, putting it in the realm of the 45-90. On top of that, the M-H has the ergonomics of a club.

It worked at Rourke's Drift and Isandlwana with volley fire against massed Zulus armed with bull hide shields and Asegais.
 
Those little under fed Brits shot the Martinis with great success, I don't mind the recoil. Always fun to send a large chunk down range. The smaller cal. sure are a saving in lead and powder though. While you are saving your dimes just keep watching for a action, then contact Ron Smith for a great barrel in your cal.
 
Personally I would steer away from IMA Nepal guns...there are many good condition available Martini's around Canada unlike the US market.

Spare parts are relatively easy to acquire as well.

I have seen several which have had the furniture cut back for sporters (which is fine if you are looking for a shooter) as well as factory sporters

Reloading these is not a hard task. Bags of info on the internet.

Personally I think they are a beautiful looking gun - no crap hanging off the side or hammers to snag on!
 
Back
Top Bottom