single shot action choice

cdnrokon

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Location
Manitoba
I am looking to get a 38/55 built .
I have had almost every action in the past .I would like to shoot short range BPCR with it out to 200yds and maybe out to the 500yd rams

I have had Highwalls,Sharps,Hepburns,Stevens and Ballards

If you had a choice one over the other, ease of getting parts for and ease of cleaning what would you get and why?
I am thinking of getting a Roller as they are still easy to get and parts are available.?
Thoughts
 
I would get one of those small frame Italian Sharps rifles in 38-55 although I actually prefer the 38-56 which holds a lot more powder. What impresses me about the Sharps is a combination of things. The breach block and lever come out for cleaning and go back in easily. You can use any length of shell in them and can clean the barrel from the breach. The lock mechanism is completely isolated from the breach area so that you do not have to worry about fouling in the mechanism. Like you I have owned or do own most of the common single shots. One other tempting one would be a Starr because it is unique in my experience, in that the extractor snaps back in when the gun is completely open and you do not have to worry about getting a rim in front of the ejector

cheers mooncoon
 
Have to go with a roller. I have one in 38-55 , shoot BP and it is a tack driver. Way better rifle than this shooter deserves. :0)
Good luck and enjoy!
teddyblue
 
For sheer economics and availability the roller or modern high wall would be top of my list, or modern Sharps of one breed or another for that matter...but not the mini Sharps. If you want to wind er' up to knock rams over, mini's and that much oomph don't mix well (I know from experience).

For sheer "I want one" the Hepburn would get me excited. Ballard are nice and smooth but have been known to expand their frames uncontrollably the odd time with smokleless loads needed for rams.
 
I never much cared for the Sharps looks, to much slab-sided, with extra angles and chunks everywhere, but the 1875 is a bit nicer, and maybe a Sharps Borchardt action, if you are OK with not actually meeting the rules for BPCR.

I always preferred the look of the 1885 Winchester, myself.

Ballards are a recipe for a blown up gun, and were not really well engineered to handle higher pressures.

I have seen some pretty nice looking Rolling Block Sporters, as well as some pretty nice Hepburns.

Cheers
Trev
 
Rolling or falling block, they all can be good shooters. Get something that you find pleasing to your eye or HC to what era you want. Lyman has a mini Sharps as to what Mooncoon mentioned. I bought one for my wife in 38-55 and she cuts 10s with it at 100m.
 
Check the rules for compitition, exposed hammers? I have a Falling Block Works with a RKS 38-55 it is great. Love my 50-90 Shiloh Sharps, and my original Rem rolling block is fun but not competitive. Was a time in Alberta when many of the best black powder guns were Ruger #1s with Ron's barrels. If I was looking today I would look at re barreling something to 32-40.
 
I have one of those old Ruger #1's with an RKS barrel in .32-40. It's accurate like a laser beam :). Ron's barrels are excellent.

For an action I would pick one of the new MVA highwall actions with the DST and Helm lever. If cost was no objection :)

Chris.
 
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I own six Shiloh rifles and I love the classic lines. I've owned a C.Sharps '75, and while it was a great shooter, it just didn't look right.
If you don't mind the wait, you could always get on the list for a new Shiloh '77 Creedmoor ..... well over two years at last count.

I never much cared for the Sharps looks, to much slab-sided, with extra angles and chunks everywhere, but the 1875 is a bit nicer, and maybe a Sharps Borchardt action, if you are OK with not actually meeting the rules for BPCR.
Cheers
Trev
 
. If I was looking today I would look at re barreling something to 32-40.

I have a 32-40 and while I like it for target shooting, at 400 yards it was touch and go whether it would knock the ram down. I went to a 38-56 with a 300 grain bullet and a faster twist to stabilize the heavier bullet, an it seems to have no problem in knocking 500 meter rams (Fort Mac) down. The nut behind the trigger definitely needs a lot of adjusting however, to hit the rams in the first place :>( My next gun will be a 40-70 Sharps bottleneck because it is different and because it should still have relatively little recoil. One of my first BP cartridge rifles was a Farmingdale Sharps in 45-120 which was distinctly uncomfortable to shoot and also a nuisance because it had very shallow rifling and would only shoot paper patched bullets accurately

cheers mooncoon
 
Sounds like you're missing a roller in your repertoire. If I were in your shoes and wanting to do a build I'd start with one of the rolling blocks from Tradex and then go as mild or wild as the bank account can stand.

Or if money was no object, well at least if a fair amount of it was not a problem maybe look into the single shot Stevens 44 1/2 replica from CPA guns in the US. You'd need to import it through someone like I Run Guns but these have a fantastic reputation in all areas.
 
If I were looking to have a 38/55 target rifle built and had the money just to have something different at the range I would buy one of the Romano 1882 Maynard rifle replicas , a bit pricey but a real nice gun
 
Having just imported a Shiloh #1 Sporter, I can vouch that this is not the best time to be bringing in a gun from south of the DMZ.
 
Back
Top Bottom