slug in 3in chamber

car94401

New member
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Location
Halifax NS
I bought an old cooey 840 for bear defence when I go backpack hunting. It has a 3in chamber. Can I fire a 2 3/4 slug or double O from this if it is full choke...... Thanks!
 
Simple answer Yes. Check to see what kind of patter you get and which slugs work best with it.

How old is old would be another question/.
 
I bought an old cooey 840 for bear defence when I go backpack hunting. It has a 3in chamber. Can I fire a 2 3/4 slug or double O from this if it is full choke...... Thanks!
It might work. Old Cooey is rather expendable, so for best results with buckshot and slugs, my advice is... cut the choke off. From the standpoint of self defence cylinder bore will perform the best.
 
Just shoot it. And, I rather doubt a Vang comp is cylinder bore! Buckshot for bear is .... well, I won't start that one again, but you want as many of those petty little .33 caliber round balls to hit as close to one another as you can possibly get, in the hopes that a few of them gang up on bruin and get inside. You know, a couple break the skin, a couple more break a bone or two and a couple left to go inside where he lives. Sort of like a tacticool squad doing a forced entry! Won't happen if they are so widely scattered they each act as a single .33 caliber round ball - think black powder squirrel gun! Think real big squirrel.
 
Back
Top Bottom