Brutus,
I'd suggest a good look at 38-55, as about the smallest worth looking at. Mainly from the Antique perspective.
IIRC, a 30-30 case blown out to comes out a wee bit short (.045", IIRC), but they are pretty much everywhere, if you wanted to be able to save a few bucks on brass.
I have a 40-65 reamer sitting here if you want to look that way...Y'all gotta come over for a cuppa, and bring the action over too! I have a copy of Venturino's book on shooting buffalo guns, and it has a fair bit of info on at least some of the cartridges available. It's worth a read, if you can stand to read his writings.
You wanna shoot BP ? Lots more selection in the .45's for bullets.
Pretty much no limits for selection, if you are willing to search out the brass, anything from .22 WCF on up.
Bigger bore=larger surface are on base of bullet=lower pressures required to get it to move.
Cheers
Trev