Small game/bird load for webley?

I load 4.2 gr unique wih a thin plastic wad over top. Punched out from something like a ice cream container lid. Filled to the top with #6 lead shot and another paper wad punched from an old primer packet wrap. Then pushed down lightly over top. A drop of White water proof glue spread over the top with a toothpick.

I picked up a hole punch on Ebay for cheap to match the internal diameter of the brass to cut the wads.
I don't shoot them much however when I do.

It throws nice donut shaped patterns so you got to shoot off to the side a little. Can't hunt with them here but great for shooting hand thrown skeet on the fly. Think I can hit it. Wanna Bet
They never check your ammo
 
Last edited:
Here in ontario you are not so you wont find any info this way>

Not entirely correct. You can hunt with a pistol as long as it's a airpistol. There are some not bad pellet pistols that would be good for hunting birds. A pellet in the head does in a grouse just fine. I am not aware if anyone legally answered the hunting with a antique handgun question though.

I would think the powers that be would frown upon it. Legally you can fire a antique handgun anywhere it's legal to fire a NR gun so I think it should be legal but am just not sure if it is.
 
In b.c. You can't hunt with a barrel length shorter than 12.5". Handgun or not.

I hadn't heard about the barrel shorter than 12.5, but I did note that the regs say what you CAN hunt with (page 16, legal hunting methods). It only lists rifles, shotguns and bows, so I would assume anything classified as a pistol wouldn't be legal. If it was a cavalry gun with butt stock I have no idea how that would be classified :p

9mms2k - do you have a source for the 12.5 rules?

Edit - found page 3 under handgun heading:
Handgun – is a firearm that is designed, altered or intended to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand or that has a barrel less than 305 mm (12 in.) in length.
So... they would classify a 10 inch barrel bolt action rifle as a handgun???

And now page 9:
Handguns It is illegal to hunt with a handgun in BC. See page 3 for definition.

Except... am I correct in thinking that antiques aren't handguns unless used in a crime?


This is worth actually finding an answer to, as hunting grouse with a handgun would be a reasonable use for them, and I suspect having a good explanation would be needed when dealing with CO's.


BC hunting regs:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1214/docs/hunting_trapping_front.pdf
 
Last edited:
I hadn't heard about the barrel shorter than 12.5, but I did note that the regs say what you CAN hunt with (page 16, legal hunting methods). It only lists rifles, shotguns and bows, so I would assume anything classified as a pistol wouldn't be legal. If it was a cavalry gun with butt stock I have no idea how that would be classified :p

9mms2k - do you have a source for the 12.5 rules?
It's in the synopsis. I don't have a copy handy but I've seen it with my own eyes.

Edit. Page 3 is the definition of handgun

"Handgun – is a firearm that is designed, altered or intended to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand or that has a barrel less than 305 mm (12 in.) in length."
 
Last edited:
I hadn't heard about the barrel shorter than 12.5, but I did note that the regs say what you CAN hunt with (page 16, legal hunting methods). It only lists rifles, shotguns and bows, so I would assume anything classified as a pistol wouldn't be legal. If it was a cavalry gun with butt stock I have no idea how that would be classified :p

9mms2k - do you have a source for the 12.5 rules?

Edit - found page 3 under handgun heading:
So... they would classify a 10 inch barrel bolt action rifle as a handgun???

And now page 9:

Except... am I correct in thinking that antiques aren't handguns unless used in a crime?


This is worth actually finding an answer to, as hunting grouse with a handgun would be a reasonable use for them, and I suspect having a good explanation would be needed when dealing with CO's.


BC hunting regs:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1214/docs/hunting_trapping_front.pdf
Yes, they consider a 10" bolt action a handgun.
Incorrect. Antique status handguns are still handguns. They just aren't considered firearms for the firearms act.
 
Back
Top Bottom