Smith&Wesson model 1 1/2, first issue. Please help, not in condition expected!

Fella1340

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hello there, this is unfortunately my first post. I had hoped to be making my first one under better circumstances but I really need help understanding where I stand.. I just bought a Smith and Wesson model 1 1/2, first version. I will post pictures. I bought this from a small dealer in Canada and unfortunately it's not at all what I thought it was going to be mechanically. It has quite a few issues. I have contacted him and he's willing to take the gun back but I really need help from you guys. I need a general idea if I'm being jerked around or if things sound normal to you.

The gun appears to be in excellent condition with 95% nickel remaining, the walnut grips are excellent with minor wear around button. It was advertised as above with a strong action and hinge. Excellent Overall. His wording. He rates things according to a system that everybody else uses. B
His rating of excellent also means a gun is mechanically perfect according to what he has written on his website.
So I have a 95% nickel gun and it looks to be in excellent condition. Here's what I found when I received it. The cylinder had quite a bit of slack when rotated axialy. The cylinder was also very loose, turned upside down the barrel end of cylinder rests directly against the top strap. It would rest against the bottom ofthe frame to it it wasn't for the cylinder lock holding it up. This didn't seem excellent to me at all. The gun has no half ####. When I pulled the trigger back it got much tougher as the ratchet engaged to rotate the cylinder. Also the cylinder didn't rotate freely with the trigger pulled back slightly as it should have. The cylinder lock wasn't disengaging with the trigger pull.

I looked for info and HL Collection had a manual on the gun. I bought it and quickly discovered that the action was broken. The piece that went from the cylinder lock up bar to the trigger was broken. I confirmed this when I removed the side plate and the part was broken off and missing.

This all seemed very excessive for a gun rated excellent and mechanically perfect.
I contacted him and he did say I could return the gun for a refund. When he replied he stated guns are only rated by there finish, movement and completeness. That was why it was rated excellent. His own site says excellent includes mechanically perfect???? I'm new to this and am really loving the hobby aND am growing frustrated. He claims his rating system is the same as everybody else.

I have bought three guns from him. The last was an excellent hopkins and allen which was nice except the cylinder timing was way off, that wasn't part of the rating he said but other guns he uses the timing as part of the rating. Who's right here? I just feel if he places himself in the realm as an atique gun dealer and considers himself qualified to rate guns that he should have a sound understanding of how a guns action works? Isn't the point of rating them so a standard can be expected? The way I thought things worked a gun rated excellent would be tight and very close to mechanically perfect unless otherwise noted.

I really need to understand what's going on here. This is seriously impacting my enjoyment of the hobby, i'm new with not even a dozen pieces and most were in the sub $1000 range. I really hope your experience can help me have realistic expectations about what to expect. I hope it makes sense, the online book I bought won't allow me to copy and paste pictures of the broken part and there's nothing to see from the side plate with the piece missing. I believe this was the only model they used this type of cylinder lock disengagement. I really appreciate any help you can give and thank you for reading this.
Fella
 
if you plan to have it as a wall hanger /paper weight keep it ,If you were planing to fire it don't as a broken frame will never heal so send it back as per his offer
 
If the seller is willing to take it back, quit procrastinating and send it back. He should have been aware of the discrepancies and written about them in his description of the revolver. Get your money back and quit fiddling with the piece or whatever warranty/guarantee the seller is allowing you will be invalid.
 
Agree about no fiddling unless you know for sure you can fix it, or won't leave evidence of the attempt. Return for a refund would most likely be your best bet.
 
Hi guys, thanks for the solid advice. I appreciate it. I am still wondering about how these are properly graded though. Can the gun really be rated as excellent just because it has 95% plus finish on it and it's all in one piece? I want to continue to build my collection with better pieces each step of the way but I am unsure of how mechanical condition plays into the rating based on the NRA guidelines. There's no problem returning the gun, i am just hoping to gain a better perspective moving forward from here.

Can anybody recommend a solid antique gun dealer? If you would rather not mention it here please feel free to PM me. It would be great to find one dealer I could continue to buy from with confidence.
Thanks
 
Thanks guys, the gun is going back. I see that some nice stuff comes up for sale in the antique guns sales section here and lots of them have excellent ratings. I think I will give that a try. Any other suggestions are welcome. I will be reading up and likely asking a question or two regarding black powder shooting. I really like the flintlock (rifle) and it's history, just need to decide if that's a good place to start or if I would be better offor going percussion. I really like the idea of shooting the original antiques but wonder if it's practical and if buying a new/used rifle is the best way to go. I'very gone way off topic here and these questions may answer themselves once I have spent more time reading previous posts and the already asked questions.

I really appreciate the input. Lesson learned! I wish there were dealers in southern ontario where I could go and physically see what I was going to buy before committing. Buying over the Internet is challenging at best.
Thanks
 
The National Rifle Association has a firearms rating system that is used almost universally by reputable gun dealers....... would be worth your time to read and understand it before buying blind again. For example, the term "NRA Excellent" is clearly defined and maybe you should demand evaluation by such criteria if you are buying.
 
Thanks guys, the gun is going back. I see that some nice stuff comes up for sale in the antique guns sales section here and lots of them have excellent ratings. I think I will give that a try. Any other suggestions are welcome. I will be reading up and likely asking a question or two regarding black powder shooting. I really like the flintlock (rifle) and it's history, just need to decide if that's a good place to start or if I would be better offor going percussion. I really like the idea of shooting the original antiques but wonder if it's practical and if buying a new/used rifle is the best way to go. I'very gone way off topic here and these questions may answer themselves once I have spent more time reading previous posts and the already asked questions.

I really appreciate the input. Lesson learned! I wish there were dealers in southern ontario where I could go and physically see what I was going to buy before committing. Buying over the Internet is challenging at best.
Thanks

The antiques I've picked up here on CGN have been the only ones I've bought online; before that it was few and far between up here but I'd only buy if I could look at 'em.

The ones I've bought on the EE here have been described accurately - and priced fairly for the condition. All of 'em needed some work to shoot (or I just needed the parts). The Trader rating system here is definitely useful although from other threads in some of the forums it shouldn't be the only factor, as pmatuk says ask questions and if you need pictures of some part or other, don't be shy about askin'

As for getting into the Holy Black, "go fer it". Great fun.

Keep yer powder dry and Happy Shootin'
 
Thanks for the advice, I missed that this had gone to page 2 last time I checked. I suppose I was a little naive and too trusting when I made my last few purchases. The first antiques I bought were easy, relatively inenexpensive and had little value. Basically conversation pieces. Now that my expectations have increased I will have to do my homework. I have a list of questions ready now for the next time I find something I would like to purchase. I am thinking the best ads to follow up on are the ones that have the most information offered up front. If 9 out of 10 questions have been answered before I make contact it follows that there are likely to be fewere surprises and ending with both parties happy with the sale.
 
Back
Top Bottom