smokeless in blackpowder frame...questions

tigertrout

Regular
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I have a blackpowder Colt SAA in 41 long colt and a smokeless Colt SAA in 38-40. I know I can shoot 38-40 out of my 41 Colt, my question is, If I put the smokeless cylinder in the blackpowder frame should I be concerned about anything.

ie. is most of the pressure transfer going to take place in the cylinder and,or how much pressure would be transferred to the frame and should I be concerned......

Thanks
 
you also need to concern yourself about the size of the firing pin and its opening. Modern revolvers have small diameter pins so that the primer does not flow back into the hole and rupture. If you are only using very low pressure loads, it may not matter, but that is something you can only find out by either finding a reputable source(s) for the pressures generated by black powder and by your particular smokeless load in that cartridge.

cheers mooncoon
 
Well i have a BP SAA colt ser # in the 140000s and i shoot 44 Sp in the gun.
I only shoot the Winchester cowboy ammo factory 44 Sp but its loaded light at 730 FPS or so. no point in stressing the frame.
The gun has a second gen cylinder takes the loads no problem.
id shot that winchester ammo in a frist gen cylinder to if i had one.
ive shot that 44 sp winchester cowboy smokeless ammo in antique DA S&W frist model break tops that had the longer cylinders.
No problems with the fireing pin holes and primer flow ect tho its a valid point if you keep your loads down you will be fine.
There alot stronger (SAAs) than Webley MKIs and MKIIs and almost everyone shoots smokeless in them.
 
Back
Top Bottom