Smoothbore for hunting turkey and deer

maple leaf

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Location
SW Ontario
As the title says, I am looking for sources of smooth bores to hunt primarily turkey and deer, but also duck and geese. I am curious to know what I should be looking for or what you could recommend.

Thanks!
 
well turkey and deer ok but waterfowl is not something that can really be hunted with muzzleloaders anymore since lead shot cant be used you would have to go with a wad stack (nitro and fiber) and then put a non toxic shot wad on top making sure any steel shot is in the wad

id go to track of the wolf or the gun works for a new made gun
 
well turkey and deer ok but waterfowl is not something that can really be hunted with muzzleloaders anymore since lead shot cant be used you would have to go with a wad stack (nitro and fiber) and then put a non toxic shot wad on top making sure any steel shot is in the wad

id go to track of the wolf or the gun works for a new made gun
Lots of us hunt waterfowl with muzzle loaders and black powder cartridge guns with no issues .
We use either Bismuth or Nice shot, neither will harm the barrels and are very close to lead in their mass, so going straight across is not a problem with load data.
Cat
 
Look at traditional muzzleloading forum in the classifieds, as well as Track of the Wolf, Dixie, Sitting Fox muzzleloaders, etc. Flintlock smoothbores come across the border with no issues.
 
Lots of us hunt waterfowl with muzzle loaders and black powder cartridge guns with no issues .
We use either Bismuth or Nice shot, neither will harm the barrels and are very close to lead in their mass, so going straight across is not a problem with load data.
Cat

when you can find bismuth or nice shot that stuff is way to rich for my books id still not use it bare
 
Effective range for ethical deer hunting is going be pretty short and take regular target practice. Think under 75 yards.
Smoothbores typically only have a front bead for a sight and you have to learn a different kind of sight picture or shoot a LOT and become a good instinctive shooter.

I think it would be a hoot and a hunt to be really proud of when you do take big game with one.
 
Ellwood Epps has a Pedersoli 12 ga SxS muzzleloader. $625. I have one as does a friend. I have shot upland game and waterfowl (before the steel shot regs). I've carried it deer hunting but haven't had a shot - yet. I've used "00" buck which patterned well. I've also tried loads with 3 .454 pistol balls (not so good). And 2 .600 balls which were pretty good at 30 yds.
100_0115.jpg


My friend has taken turkeys with his Pedersoli 12 ga.

Another friend has a 12 ga barrel for his Traditions Pursuit in-line and has taken many turkeys.

I have an old, original Belgian .625 caplock smoothbore Trade musket that I bought in 1960. It has downed every kind of small game with both shot and patched round ball. It is quite accurate out to 50-70 yds with a patched round ball.

Another friend has a flintlock smoothbore Trade musket that takes a .600 patched round ball. It is quite accurate. The target photo is 2 shots off hand at 50 yds.
100_0296.jpg
100_0299.jpg
 
Goldenlakepete,
Thanks for the pics! Those are sweet looking guns. I definitely enjoyed the flinter (as that is something I am interested in getting). Thanks again!
 
Dont get discouraged about the waterfowl hunting. I have used a sxs and single barrel and lead shot is pretty much the same in weight as nice and bismuth in the semse of load development. So practice and shoot with lead then when you want to hunt use some of the bismuth which is expensive but you arent using alot everytime so its not as bad as it seems. Also you can use steel shot if you make shot cups so it doesnt come in contact with the barrel.

Cheers, McLean
 
A 62 cal (20 ga) Trade Gun would serve you well and for accurate shooting you can improvise and temporary rear peep or open sight held in place by the tang bolt. I used that for developing an accurate load for mine, to remove the variability of shooting without a rear sight. Most trade gun shooters, in my experience, would tell you the 2-shot group in the photo is not typical of what to expect, except from an experienced expert, especially off-hand. A 5-shot group of about 2 " spread is certainly achievable at 50 yd with lots of practice, over a sandbag rest. Good enough for a deer or moose. Practice, practice, practice.
 
A 62 cal (20 ga) Trade Gun would serve you well and for accurate shooting you can improvise and temporary rear peep or open sight held in place by the tang bolt. I used that for developing an accurate load for mine, to remove the variability of shooting without a rear sight. Most trade gun shooters, in my experience, would tell you the 2-shot group in the photo is not typical of what to expect, except from an experienced expert, especially off-hand. A 5-shot group of about 2 " spread is certainly achievable at 50 yd with lots of practice, over a sandbag rest. Good enough for a deer or moose. Practice, practice, practice.


You're right, I was bragging with that group! These are more like "normal" off-hand groups at 50 yds. The "diamond" target group is 2 5/16" centre to centre and the "groundhog" group is 4 3/4" C-C. I actually won the shooting contest that year against guys with rifles. I had been practicing a lot and that was pre-glaucoma.
100_0131.jpg
 
A 62 cal (20 ga) Trade Gun would serve you well and for accurate shooting you can improvise and temporary rear peep or open sight held in place by the tang bolt. I used that for developing an accurate load for mine, to remove the variability of shooting without a rear sight.

Any idea where I would get such a site? I've got a trade gun I want to toss a rear site onto but I don't want to go drilling any more holes into the tang.
 
Any idea where I would get such a site? I've got a trade gun I want to toss a rear site onto but I don't want to go drilling any more holes into the tang.

No need to do anything to the gun. I made mine in 10 minutes but have never seen one for sale. Take a 1/2" wide by about 3" long strip of brass or steel (I used scrap 1/16" thick brass). About 1/2" from one end drill a hole large enough that the strip will fit over the shaft of your tang bolt. In my case the tang bolt went from top to bottom like a long rifle so I counter-sunk the hole to get a better fit with the conical head of the tang bolt. If your bolt comes up from below then create a longer bolt and use a nut to hold the sight strip securely over the barrel tang and/or thread the hole to fit the bolt. Now at the rear of the strip, about 1/2" from the end, bend it up so the bent-up part is perpendicular to the line of sight. Drill a 1/16" hole in the middle of the 1/2" square part to create the aperature for your sight. Bend the body of the strip up or down to get the point of impact you want but be sure that the rear part with the aperature remains perpendicular to the line of sight. It has worked fine for me for developing accurate loads and I see no reason why it wouldn't work for deer hunting but then I would expand the aperature to 3/16" or even 1/8" for low-light conditions. PM me if you need a photo.
 
Back
Top Bottom