Smoothbore martini henry 577-450 shotshell?

C96 1897

Regular
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey guys

I have come across a smoothbore martini in 577 450 I am interested in as a potential shotgun (with antique status)

I am wondering if anyone has tried to load 577 450 as a shotshell? I originally thought about loading them with a 45 cal shot capsule, then I thought about a chamber adapter to 410. (i think it would still be antique as the gun isnt being modified to shoot 410, rather than amunition modified to fit a 577 450 chamber)

Now im wondering if it's safe/possible to load a bottle neck cartrige with the shot in the case starting below the bottle neck?

I don't think this would be safe but im curious if anyone else has tried this in any form?
 
I don't know if having part of the shot charge down in the body of the case would be a good idea. A lot of old shotshells for rifles used a cardboard capsule to hold the shot. With the long neck and chamber freebore there is probably room for a decent load of shot.
 
Back
Top Bottom