Sn30/Pb70 for casting?

358Scout

Regular
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Location
Saskatoon
Came across 1 lb bars stamped ( 30/70 Sn/Pb ) @ $1.00 / lb. Can this be cast straight or do I have to add pure lead?
How much lead would I have to ad? I have a few rolls of lead used for either plumbing or roofing under my deck.
I've used wheel weights from other sources and they wont do.
My idea is to create a uniform mixture of lead for consistent results.
 
Wow good find. Beats paying $14 a pound for tin!!
The amount of tin is determined by how the lead fills the mold. Have round edges on the bullet, more tin will help in the crisp fillout. As long as there is no air escape issue.
Some people get away with 95% lead and 5% tin. Others cast with a recipe of 90/10.
Have fun.
 
Tin is worth it's weight in gold almost.I needed some tin to sweeten my alloy and Metal Supermarket wanted $55.00 a pound.Instead I bought 20 Lb's of 50/50 bar solder for $8.00 a pound.I would love to find 30/70 for a buck a pound!!
 
My fault. The bars are $3.00/lb.
More the tin crisper the groves and base? More accurate the bullet????
Do I have to add anything else.

Bought a very nice pre-owned Shiloh Sharps in 45-90. From what I read on the net, these rifles give excellent
groups with 525 grains and up. Ive bought premade cast bullets from others and having weighed the pieces found
there can be a major variance by 7.3 grains ( i have a box of 50 - 11 were within .5 gr. )

This is why I want to get into casting.
 
If you are shooting smokeless powder, it might be suitable as is but if you are shooting black powder in your cartridges, most experienced shooters use around 5% tin / 95% lead. For black powder loads you want something soft enough to obturate in the bore but with a bit of alloy in it to cast cleanly (sharper cannilures) as well as to reduce shrinkage as the bullet cools

cheers mooncoon
 
$3 is a good, but not a great price. Either add 5 lbs of pure lead to one lb of the solder (makes 95/5 - add two lbs for 90/10, etc.) for blackpowder, or 10 lbs of wheelweight for other uses.
 
Last edited:
I use a 30 to 1 blend which I believe I am getting from 4 pounds of pure lead and one pound of wheel weights. Its pretty close I think. They bump up right smartly under 70 grains of Goex cartridge in my 45 2 1/10th.

Ricky
 
Back
Top Bottom