Snap Caps for sidelock?

exophysical

Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Location
Slave Lake AB
I do a fair amount of dry firing with my centerfire rifles, besides the obvious I find that throwing the gun to my shoulder, flipping the safety, and making an accurate "shot" is invaluable practice for making those quick offhand shots that are so common when hunting big timber. I'd especially like to do this with my Hawken because the triggers, safety, sights, and overall feel are very different from anything else I've shot in recent times, but I've read that dry firing a percussion rifle is not recommended. I was wondering if anyone sells, or knows how to make, some sort of snap cap that I can use to safely dry fire my muzzle loader.
 
There is a guy with snider metal caps on the EE (missing the leather bits). Add leather to them and these might work depending on the size/length of your nipples.

Be a bit costlier than straight leather but perhaps more period correct
 
Get some neoprene tubing about 1/8" inside diameter and cut off 1/2" to slide over your nipple to absorb the hammer impact. It has worked for me for years. Dry firing will sometimes shatter your nipple so leather or the neoprene tubing cushions the blow.
 
A cap lock handgun that I bought a while back came with a plain hard rubber faucet washer slipped on over the nipple's stem. It works like a charm as a dry fire padding. I've only done about a dozen dry fires to check the power of the hammer's fall and get a feel for the trigger. But those dozen or so hits have left nothing other than the faintest of marks on the rubber. I'd guess that it would easily be good for a 100 or more before it needs replacing.
 
A cap lock handgun that I bought a while back came with a plain hard rubber faucet washer slipped on over the nipple's stem. It works like a charm as a dry fire padding. I've only done about a dozen dry fires to check the power of the hammer's fall and get a feel for the trigger. But those dozen or so hits have left nothing other than the faintest of marks on the rubber. I'd guess that it would easily be good for a 100 or more before it needs replacing.

Yes, I forgot to mention the faucet washers - they work just fine too.
 
Automotive vacuum hose with about 1/8 " I.D. works fine cut about 1/2 " long and fitted over nipple. Dry fire to your hearts content. I always take some to put on the table at gun shows as freebies for black powder people. Speaking of gun shows-the Nanaimo Fish and Game Club show is next Sunday-Feb 8 for any Vancouver Island shooters. Usually a good one. Cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom