Snider Cadet Carbine

Schofield

Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I am trying to figure out what exact type of Snider carbine I have. It's a mkII** marked shoe with a 5 groove barrel that has the cleaning rod channel plugged with a wooden plug but the front sight is a blade instead of a bead. My research so far is telling me that the cadet carbines were made from old 3 band rifles, my carbine seems to be made from a short rifle. Has anyone encountered a Snider carbine similar to mine? Pics to follow as soon as I can get them uploaded.
 
Cavalry carbines be spooted because they had the smaller rear sight, and provision for the leather sight protector.
I've not heard of a cadet conversion that had other than a bead sight.
Maybe it is one that someone made up.
 
Cavalry carbines be spooted because they had the smaller rear sight, and provision for the leather sight protector.
I've not heard of a cadet conversion that had other than a bead sight.
Maybe it is one that someone made up.

I believe they were not intended for ball ammo as well. The beads fly off when ball ammo is used.
 
The carbine doesn't have any screws for the leather sight protector. What is throwing me is that the cleaning rod channel is blocked by a piece of wood matching the stock identical to how the cadet carbines were modified.
 
Bubba was here!

I gone Bubbad wot Bubba gone done.

IMG_3713.jpg.IMG_3698.jpg.IMG_3727.jpg.IMG_3710.jpg.

Tight action, nice bore. Set the front sight (a lot of experimentation) to point of aim at 50 yards.IMG_3734.jpg
I sold it and moved it along. Always keeping my eyes open for another one to do up.

I have done several rescues like this one. I always mark with my initials SY and 2 digit year in a discrete spot in the wood (underside. Usually near trigger guard). Tiny characters.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3713.jpg
    IMG_3713.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3698.jpg
    IMG_3698.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3710.jpg
    IMG_3710.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3727.jpg
    IMG_3727.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3734.jpg
    IMG_3734.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom