Snider Enfield ~_S Markings_~ ??

jpc

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
692   0   0
Hello

Buttplate is stamped with what appears to be a 'S'

Any ideas

Plate is dated 1860

take care and thanks

jpc


SniderEnfield-S-%20002.jpg
☺
SniderEnfield-S-%20003.jpg
☺
SniderEnfield-S-%20004.jpg
☺
SniderEnfield-S-%20015.jpg
 
It might mean........ "Sold out of Service" ? Meaning just that, the rifle was at the end of its useful military life was sold into the commercial market. But I'm no expert.
 
I never knew that they made variations in the butt length for ANY Victorian-era military arms.

tac

Not saying they did...I am just theorizing here. The S remind me of the L stamped on my SMLE butt.

Thinking about it further though, I suppose this is unlikely as the butt plate would have to be altered if the butt was nipped back.
 
Possibly Ottawa 2nd Rifle Coy which used the S as a unit designation from the early 1860s.
 
If there isn't one, it prolly means that it was issued into service prior to the 1867 Confederation date. I have a Québec Garrison Artillery short rifle without a DC, but to make up for it, my Welland & Lincoln County three-bander has TWO.

tac
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom