Snider Enfield mkII VS. MKIII safety.....

czscotia

Regular
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Grand Prairie
Hi all,
I am looking at a Snider Enfield they look like fun! but I read that the MKIII had a steel barrel as opposed to Iron used in the MKII. Is one better than the other or are both genneraly safe?
Thank you
 
I've owed several of each over the years. I used to be concerned like you. I used to beleive that the Mk III was safer after a century. Mk III Locking Lever will ensure that should a minor blowback occur the bolt would stay closed and vent gases. Steel of MK III also a plus when shooting black powder.
I have shot some slightly oversized slugs that bulged Jameson brass, that had zero effect on my MkII Sgts.
Also shot several greased slugs in a muzzle loading P53,needing lots of hammering of the rod to load, so much pressure that flames hit my trigger hand.....Just hunted with that very P53 using smaller dia slugs that almost fell right in, and she shot well and accurate with 50 grains.
I have learned that these are all well made British proofed arms, Enfield and Snider Enfields. If in doubt have it checked out by a gunsmith and treat these antiques with respect.
 
Back
Top Bottom