Snider Question

Colt1911A1

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 95.8%
67   3   1
Hello folks. Hoping that somehere can give me some advice. The bottom picture is a Snider that I own (the others are for reference). See the gap on the breechbock that the arrow is pointing to? I am thinking that can't be good. Also, the spring covering the rod that the breechblock swivels on looks different in all three pictures-which is correct, if any? Can the breechblock on mine be fixed/replaced? Or should I sell it as a wallhanger? Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Allan


SniderEnfield2.jpg

SniderEnfield.jpg

Snider2.jpg
 
Your gun has a number of issues. The breech block is worn excessively, the firing pin nipple is missing and the pin is being retained by an incorrect screw. The actual breech of the gun is more than likely damaged after that type of abuse. Wallhanger/parts gun as far as I'm concerned....
 
I have to agree with tactical870 on this one. There are so many good Sniders out there in Canada that there is no reason to spend a lot of time and money on this one. I can't tell if the stock is OK or if it has been cut but, if it is OK, you can buy one which has had the stock cut for peanuts and change it over. We are lucky here to have many on the market for fair prices. I see guys who think they're getting a bargain with one of the imported junkers and then spend way more time and money to try to fix it and still have a junker. Good luck. I have always thought that Newfoundland would be a great place to look for Sniders. I have had a dozen or more and reload and shoot mine on a regular basis and they are very much fun and very much a part of our history. I had one which was marked to the "Kite", a Nl. sealing vessel from the 1800's so they are there. Dave
 
Do you like projects????

This looks like one.


In my opinion if the barrel and bores in good shape this rifle could be fixed somewhat easily if you have basic shop skills.

A new block and ejector could be had off a busted up cadet of the same pattern.

Also what would be the problem with grinding up a new block face and welding it on the old one then file fitting it by hand, or a new breech assembly could be installed with block and all

Get a firing pin and spring from IMA and fit that.....If you -really- like your rifle and IF that block is your only real issue why not put in a bitt of effort and fix her up.....not more then a fun afternoon of fabrication if you have the want to do it.


Can you post some better shots of the block from different angles both open and closed?

Looks like maybe the breech face that the block closes on was ground down, Is that so?



Hows the bore?

Looks like a odd peep sight area on the sight ladder.....I dont recall seeing that before??!!


Cheers
 
Is this arm DC marked?

Do you have pictures of the markings along the barrel root from where on the left side of it meets the block action below the rear sight ladder cradle.?
 
Back
Top Bottom