Snider stamp marks

stevejones

Regular
Rating - 100%
82   0   1
Location
Courtenay, BC
Hello. I have a question regarding some stamp marks on the top of the breech block of a Snider I have. There is an arrow pointed at the 12 oclock position with a WD, crown, and a 54 that run below the arrow. I can't take a photo of this as my camera is not that good but i'm sure some of the experts out there will be know what this is.

Thanks.
 
Hello. I have a question regarding some stamp marks on the top of the breech block of a Snider I have. There is an arrow pointed at the 12 oclock position with a WD, crown, and a 54 that run below the arrow. .

The arrow is the kings broad arrow denoting government property. WD stands for war department. Because it is on the breach block, the 54 I am guessing is a serial number so that parts can be matched after case hardening.

cheers mooncoon
 
Queen Victoria's reign was from 1837 -1901. The Snider was made from Pattern 1853 muzzleloaders starting in the late 1860's.
 
Back
Top Bottom