So I want a Bakers Rifle

Miller854

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Location
Canada
I have seemed to fallen in love with the Bakers Rifle while watching the show "Sharpes Rifles", and what I would like to know would you guys consider this to be a good starting rifle for a person who has never used black powder before? Also where apart from Loyalist Arms where would I be able to get one? I would like a newly made one to a real one because I do plan on useing it quite a bit. Thanks for reading -Miller854
 
Thanks for the link. I was looking at the list they had for bakers rifles and which one would you choose and how much do you think I should look to spend? The Flat Lock rifle seems to be upwards of $1000.
 
Thanks for the link. I was looking at the list they had for bakers rifles and which one would you choose and how much do you think I should look to spend? The Flat Lock rifle seems to be upwards of $1000.

its up to you really all patterns where through the napoleonic wars but id go with flat lock these are just kits that you have to build or have someone build they are a little more advanced especially if you have to build and tune the lock your self witch is no easy feet
 
looks like I will have to go for an assembled lock then. Thanks alot for the link looks like I will have to save up a bit to pick up this piece.
 
The Indian Baker has a round lock, wood made of teak etc.In my opinion if you want a real Baker you ll be disappointed in the Indian version.This is what a RifleShoppe version looks like.It is made from parts cast off the original
2012-05-30204122.jpg

2012-05-30203840.jpg

2012-05-30203826.jpg
 
Chasseur, thats a beautiful rifle!

I have always been partial to the round "queen anne" style of lock, but this one you have is a beauty!!

Looks sooo pristine....awesome!
 
Over here in UK Peter Dyson [check out his website - www.peterdyson.co.uk] makes two versions of the Baker rifle - totally true to the orignal patterns of the soldier's and officer's models. Here are a couple of YouTube vids of my pal Steve shooting his -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAX8Zwd1TrI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlwViCTroho

Many of the parts used by other builders in USA, including the Rifle Shoppe, are actually of Peter Dyson's own making.

Waiting time can be a couple of years, and prices start at around $5000, up to expensive.

tac
 
To see the Baker Rifles that Track of the Wolf has sold, with the selling price, you have to sign up for their archives. It's worth it if you are interested in muzzle loaders.
 
Back
Top Bottom