So,is lead round ball considered D/G?

buster

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm getting desperatley low on .530 round ball and decided to order some from a big (SPORT WHOLESALER) through their webpage.
Every time,I've tried a few,the checkout indicates that it is an ammunition order and therefore requires a PAL number??? A fax of my drivers licence??? and because it's dangerous goods,has to be shipped DHL at a cost of $47 dollars.???

I can't beleive this is right, and have e-mailed them to ask if their webcheckout is set up right.
No answer yet,and I'm scratching my head on this .

Is lead roundball considered ammunition now? (as in live ammo??)

D o I need to give out my PAL number and drivers licence to buy roundball?

At any rate ,if this is the case ,I'm going back to casting my own lead,god knows I've got enough of it.

Anyone else ever had to give their drivers/PAL number to buy roundball???:bangHead:
 
Well, my Mother is a postmistress, so I looked up the official dope on ammunition and such. They consider brass cases, bullets, loaded ammo, primers to be all the same. All forbidden items. Nevertheless, you don't need a PAL to purchase those items. And you don't need to tell Canada Post you're mailing "projectile tips". They're scrap metal, and cartridge brass is simply brass tubing. :)
 
They're just pieces of metal. There's no reason why you need a PAL to buy them or they can't be shipped by Canada Post. Only powder, primers, or loaded ammunition are legally classified as dangerous goods.
 
I know they are just pieces of metal, but the Canada Post manual disagrees. They actually specifically list bullets and brass. Actually, if you go through their list, there aren't many things they DON'T have trouble with! Some of the items on their dangerous goods list are retarded.
 
I'm finding the more I run across things like this ,the more self suficiant I become.

I've only ever reloaded rifle in a single stage press untill this year.my father in-laws' reloading stuff has has been packed away for a few years not knowing what to do with all of it until this year.

He had about 400 lbs of lead,moulds,lube,cases,presses,gas checks when he passed on.I now know how to reload everything I own.

I'm ranting, I know,$47 to ship four boxes(400) of .530 roundball,$16 of it because this is what DHL charges for handling dangerous goods. What a burn.


Then to have a company want my drivers licence faxed to them as well have my PAL number turns me off the whole business of it.
 
I would phone WS, I'm sure they would send the order. Probably a glitch with the site. As to the official Canada Post regulations, that BS has been in the book since about 1998. It is basically unenforceable. How DO you distinguish between lead bullets, and, say, fishing sinkers? I must get a copy of the regulations some day and post them here. It's just ridiculous, some of the things they don't want you to mail.
 
I'm ranting, I know,$47 to ship four boxes(400) of .530 roundball,$16 of it because this is what DHL charges for handling dangerous goods. What a burn.


Then to have a company want my drivers licence faxed to them as well have my PAL number turns me off the whole business of it.

Since you are been charged for DG handling fee's and paperwork, ask them what UN number and what class they will be using for the bills of lading. You could also ask them for a copy of a MSDS proving that your goods are in fact considered a DG.
 
Checked the Canada post web site. Dangerous goods include ammunition, detonators and flammable solids. The last two would include primers and powder. Ammunition is a loaded cartridge. Since cases and bullets are not loaded ammo, flammable solids or detonators my reading of the regs are they are legal to post.
Can anyone quote the regs where it says bullets and cases are dangerous goods.
 
" Hello,

I think it has to go dhl cause of the lube.If you have any questions please
call 1800-###-###x.Thank you
customer service "


I did get this e-mail today. The lube in question is BORE BUTTER so I'm thinking this person really doesn't know.I'm going to have to phone to get the real skinny on this,which isn't easy during work.

This order I was trying to place ,which I won't if it really is $47 to ship consists of 4 boxes (100 count)of .530 roundball,4 bags (100 count)of cotton patches and 1 tube of Bore Butter.

Now bore butter is all natural,biodegradable and food grade rated with no WHMIS tag.
 
I order all of my roundballs and bore butter etc from Track of the Wolf in Minnesota.No issues with shipping. (no powder or caps of course) But I shoot a flinter and even get my flints from there. I know they are not a contributing dealer but they do provide good service to Canadian customers.

regards, Darryl
 
Back
Top Bottom