some advice

walt53

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
NE Alberta
So I can by a barrel from TOTW and have it shipped in the mail no problem.
What about a private citizen in the USA,could he just send a barrel across the border by mail to me as TOTW CAN .????thanks WALT
 
Over the past 5 or so years I have had many barrels and other M/L parts shipped to me from TOTW with no border issues whatsoever. On parcels over a hundred bucks I usually have to pay GST but that is not consistent and I have had big orders come in free of GST. Barrels are not firearms until capable of being fired so even 12" pistol barrel blanks come in without hassles. They will ship US Mail parcel post and you pick up at your local postal depot and pay the GST. Done.
 
my impression is that TOW barrels are being shipped as machined tubes rather than gun barrels. Their risk is being stopped by US authorities rather than Canada because in Canada the barrels are simply spare parts. TOW may also have a US export permit allowing them to ship X number of barrels per year.

the risk is whether or not a muzzle loading barrels are recognized by US authorities as being simply rifle barrels or as being spare parts for (legally) antique guns. I think you would be putting a private citizen at considerable risk of their actions as being interpreted as being illegal by the US authorities. I think that TOW probably has some legal advice to stand on which is not necessarily true of a private US citizen.

cheers mooncoon
 
Last edited:
I have bought a barrel from Track the wolf, it came through just fine with no issues.

BUT, it was a muzzle loader barrel and it was listed as "steel pipe, rifled". I later wanted to order a breech loading rifle barrel dropped the man an email and this is what I got.

Dear Mike:

We hear no complaints.

Yes, we ship to Canada every day.

We are not Customs entry experts, but we do know that flint guns, kits, parts are exempt from regulation on both sides of the border, and we have no problems with barrels or liners.

Duties or fees collected by Canada are unknown to us,

You may order on-line,

David Ripplinger

Honestly Walt your best to ask him yourself, or wait and order one from Bits of Peices, he takes awhile........a very long while in my experience but they do arrive.
 
Maybe TOTW has filtered that past their lawyers, maybe they have not, but I suspect that the angle they hold to is that their barrels are not for 'firearms' (being for Antiques, Curio's and Relics, or muzzle loaders) and therefore are not falling under the export controls.

It seems a common sense approach. Would YOU take those risks yourself, in their place, or ask a friend to?

The flintlock stuff seems pretty clear cut, but the rifle barrels, not so much to me.

Cheers
Trev
 
Maybe TOTW has filtered that past their lawyers, maybe they have not, but I suspect that the angle they hold to is that their barrels are not for 'firearms' (being for Antiques, Curio's and Relics, or muzzle loaders) and therefore are not falling under the export controls.

Unless I am mistaken there are US export restrictions on the export of gun barrels. The issue is not whether or not they are firearms but rather whether or not they are barrels for modern guns as opposed to being for antiques in a legal sense.

relative to your original question, I would strongly suggest that you deal with TOW rather than going through an intermediary in the US. TOW is almost certainly far more knowledgeable about what they are doing and far more likely to ship their product in a way which conforms to US law and in which is seen to conform by the US authorities

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom