Some Ballard Rifles

pmatuk

CGN frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Location
DC Northern BC
here are some ballard rifles ,the top one is a 46 (454 bullet) the middle is 44 (434 bullet) bottom I just received off the ee is a 38(375 bullet).All 3 are in working order and in center fire configuration .They were all once rimfire and can be put back easily with no signs that they were converted .They were converted so they can be fired as otherwise just wall hangers
 
I have one similar to the bottom rifle, although in lesser condition. It is .46 long rimfire caliber, made by Merrimack Arms, ca. 1867. It is dual ignition, rimfire or percussion cap. The chamber accepts a .44-40 case. I have fired it with a .44-40 case with a tiny hole through a primer cup for ignition, and a notch cut in the rim to clear the hammer nose. Used .45 pistol bullets, which were just the right size for the bore. Breech seat the bullet, then load the charged case behind. The flash of the cap is right in front of your face. Allowed the rifle to be used if non of the new fangled cartridges were at hand.
 
The top 2 are Ball and Williams and the bottom is a hunter model by Merrimack .The Merrimack in 38 rf has the dual ignition hammer ,I coppied the nipple and made a floating fireing pin holder .
 
Very nice. I've only seen a handful of Ballards here in Canada. I've got a nice Pacific in .40-82. One of these days I'll order some RMC brass and shoot a few rounds through it.

Chris.
 
I really like the looks of the Ballard, particularly some of the fine target guns built in the late 1800s. Google has many pictures of fine guns.

The one in the EE would make a great project but I have 3 other actions to get built already.
 
Forty Ballard rifles were purchased in Massachusetts around 1868 by two members of the Red Saches Home Guard (Militia) in anticipation of the Fenian Raid that took place at Eccles Hill on May 25th 1870.
The Ballard rifle on display in the Brome County Historical Museum was Asa Westover's own personal rifle.
At first glance it looks very similar to any Ballard single shot, falling block, heavy octagonal barrel target rifle produced by the Brown Manufacturing Company.

However, the version purchased by Westover has certain features which set it apart from other Ballard target rifles of that period in that it has an unusual 30 inch long,full octagonal barrel and what appear to be special order sights.

The serial number on the rifle is 20524. The top of the barrel is stamped No. 44, which refers to the caliber.

The left side of the frame is stamped:
Brown Mfg. Co. Newburyport, Mass.
Ballard's Patent
Nov. 5 1861.

If I could find one of these Ballard rifles that could be traced to this event I would probably be interested in purchasing it as my great grandfather was at Eccles Hill and fired the first fatal shot at the Fenians. He was one of the two members that purchased the Ballard rifles in Mass.
























My great grandfather James G. Pell went to Mass. to purchase the Ballard rifles with Asa Westover for the Red Saches.
We have never been able to find James Pell's Ballard rifle.

 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom