Some eye candy for you guys to drool over.

Who paid $92K for an AK-47? That was a little out of place. They must have billed it as "the only one ever built with that particular serial number." I'd like to see that one explaned to the wife when you can go to the gas station, in Montana anyway, and pick one up for a little over $300. Mind you, she's probably a trophy wife, they're always much more understanding. :D

Definitely some once in a lifetime units there. That Steyr target rifle caight my eye. :eek:

Somebody sould come up with a "toungue a hanging out" emoticon. Or a "drooling" one.
 
Gee guy, you're missing a really big, really fun part of it all. IMHO
BP flame and smoke and big BOOOM = big sh!t eating grin (in my books anyway)
Your right though, $300K is just play dough to some.
 
I still love to shoot! but isnt it sweet to pick something up that is a piece of history? instead of a gun that you can pickup any day at any gun store in Canada. Where with antiques its not as easy.. hey 300K is nuts! its better be owned by someone really famous!

If someone gave you Eric Clapton's blackie guitar would you rock out on it? or would you put it in a case and have everybody drool over it and preserve it? lol. I see your point though! but ya gotta see mine too.
 
lol,brooksy, I'm talking about shooting my Antiques, mostly BP.

I have more than a few and only a few of them I haven't shot yet! LOL key word being "Yet"

I'm well aware of the historical aspect of my hobby. I'm also positive the guys that owned and used them, way back when, would be happy with the way I treat them and care for them so that I have the pleasure of passing these jewels on to others after me.

I'm also positive they would want me to experience the same thrill of shooting them, as they did.

I only own a couple of "new" guns. They'll have their own history when I pass them along. Like the night the tps came a'callin".
Cheers
 
i understand. but arent you worried you are going to bust your antiques up? some of my guns are over 300 years old. im sure some of yours are too. I envy you if your able to fire them. I just dont want to take the chance to fire and break my gun. Metals arent the same as they are these days. I guess I could fire my trapdoor springfield...
 
What is scary is that I have had all of those Confederate revolvers in my hands through the collection of a friend, when we were setting up a display at a U.S gun show. Also had the Pederson device in my hands at one time...missed shooting it though. The guy had several sealed cartons of ammo and several sealed boxes of the stuff as well as original photos of the designer of the devise, including documents etc.
Shooting an antique...insanity!!! Though it is at the discretion of the owner. If a guy wants to ruin a perfectly good antique by shooting crap out of it, just to hear it go "boom" then he is welcome to do so. Personally, I would never shoot a high end antique not matter what. They are just to valuable to screw with .
Cheers
 
You must shoot your trapdoor! It cries out to be used. Guns are tools primarily. Tools are useless unless they are used. IMHO (see your gunsmith to be sure it can be shot safely)
Your quite right though. Older, more delicate tools need to be cared for differrently and sometimes that means putting them in the glass case, (so sad). Then, in that case, I go out and buy a good quality repro (of the same gun) to go BANG with! LOL

PS I'll also agree with Alonzo that some, because of their historical/rarity importance, should not be used. But, those I would pass along to others. I don't see a Springffield trapdoor as being in this category.
 
Last edited:
I could see that for a 150 year old gun. My grandmother died at 96. Not that far off from her generation. Thats sill young in my opinion. How about a gun thats older, lets say from 1720? Would you still fire it? chances are if you found one in a condition that you could fire it, the price would be through the roof and you might think different. Thats where im coming from fellas. Most of my really old guns have something that in my opinon wouldnt be safe to fire. hairline cracks, bad bore, :)
 
Hey Pete im gonna fire it and ill let you know what I think. I bought it on here and the guy who had it before used it all the time.
its in fantastic shape!

Great! You won't regret it. Folks here will tell you how to go about it safely,if you don't have the knowledge already.
Have Fun!!
 
Oh, I can see the EE forum thoughts on this now...
"Gee, I got one that is something like the one that went for 100,000...almost, not the same make, model, caliber, provenance, or condition, so I should get 90,000 for mine"
EMT accepted.
 
i understand. but arent you worried you are going to bust your antiques up? some of my guns are over 300 years old. im sure some of yours are too.

I certainly fire my guns, although the oldest only go back to 1790 - 1810. I tend to buy guns in less than pristine condition and repair them to shootable condition. I can't see the point in buying a $5000 gun that is so perfect that I am afraid to shoot it. I do have several in the 150 or so year category however which are in excellent shape and which I do shoot. Partly it is a question of deciding how sound and intact the gun is and using moderate loads then cleaning it properly afterwards.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom