Some help with a pistol

boy1_

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
BC
Hi all,

Antiques are not something I have ever really gotten into, however I thought I would make my first post on the site after lurking for many years to ask about an item that has come into my possession recently.

The item in question pistol I was handed and asked "Is this a cap gun or what?" I am confident it is not a cap gun, but beyond that I really know nothing about it and figured this would be the best place to ask if anybody knew anything about it. (I am mostly curious about it as I have never come across anything like this before.)

As the pictures show it is a rusty, break barrel, side by side with funny little triggers that pop down when cocked. For the life of me I cannot find any identifications, markings or proofs on it.

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg


Any info would be greatly appreciated.
 
Wow, thanks for the fast replies. This is the first time I've ever heard of pinfire. Quick Google search on pinfire cartridges comes back with what appears to be cartridges that would nicely fit into the "pinholes?" on top of the barrel. I don't have calipers here but I also measured the bore with a ruler, it is ~15mm. Here is the top view:

IMG_0912.jpg
 
Pinfires were very popular in Europe, less so in North America. They were made in many calibers and gauges. Pinfire shotshells were made until rather recently, might still be made.
 
Pinfires are pretty neat. Their primers are inside the cartridge, and the pin acts as an integral firing pin on it. With a little ingenuity they can be made at home.
 
I think its kinda nice!

A little bit of oil and steel wool would do it a world of good.....

Does it lock up tight??

Hows the bores?

I have seen this pattern go for between 100 and 350$$ in the American auctions.

I think starpus "a regular poster in this forum" posted some shots of one of these he has/had, it was a neat one as well.

Pin-fires are really something "when they are well made" I like them very much:)
 
Thanks for all the info guys. This has gotten me a little more interested in some of the older firearms.

rgbai: The guns in the link look very similar, slightly different details. After doing some Googling (since studying for my exam is not as interesting as guns...obviously) I believe this to be from Belgium, I found a few almost identical examples labeled as being from Belgium, one example: h_ttp://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8482246

That pistol of yours looks quite nice as well. Later in the summer when I have some time I may look into rigging something up with a cartridge that fits. Not too sure about that though.

Musketfire: I do think it is neat, much different than the rest of my guns. It takes a bit of work to get it to lock up tight, and the bore has rather heavy surface rust so I am not sure whether it'll ever get fired (or is even safe to do so). But I am definitely going to hang on to it, worst case scenario it can keep the other guns in my safe company.

As a point of interest I found a rather amusing item online while searching the topic of pinfire. Has to be the fiercest set of brass knuckles I have ever seen (you can get shot, slashed and punched out in one fluid movement) :
848-f.jpg
 
A lot of pinfires were cheap guns but some were quite elaborate, expensive and well-made. What folks forget is that they all had to pass the SAME Proof test.

A bit of TLC, some elbow-grease and Extra Fine steel wool, some boiled linseed oil for the grips and you will have yourself quite a nice working-stiff's 19th-Century travelling pistol.

Very nice find!
 
Back
Top Bottom