Some newly acquired antique help

hawkmp9

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
A few years ago I inherited a couple antique rifles. One was supposedly used in the Boer War...
They are sporterized and in fair condition.
Hopefully you guys can school me on exactly what they are.
My goal is to be able to sell them for a fair value.
Thanks.

First up is a swiss vitterli.




Second is a martini Henry I believe?


 
I know it was made in waffenfabrik Switzerland in the 1800's.
I think it's a 41 caliber rim fire.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert when it comes to these old guns, but I love a mystery. Found a few online resources that help explain all the marks. Here's another that might suggest its a III, as opposed to a I, given the manufacturer and date.

The marks show the 1st proof, 2nd proof, inspectors marks, as well as final military acceptance mark (War Departmer Final View). All of them appear to be Bermingham marks as opposed to the London facility.

I'm kind of curious about Martini Henry's. I've heard you can make brass for them out of 24 gauge brass hulls, though doing so is definitely a labour of love. If it still had full wood, I might consider making an offer, but if I were to acquire one, I think it would need to be in original configuration, for the historical appeal.
 
I'm no expert when it comes to these old guns, but I love a mystery. Found a few online resources that help explain all the marks. Here's another that might suggest its a III, as opposed to a I, given the manufacturer and date.

The marks show the 1st proof, 2nd proof, inspectors marks, as well as final military acceptance mark (War Departmer Final View). All of them appear to be Bermingham marks as opposed to the London facility.

I'm kind of curious about Martini Henry's. I've heard you can make brass for them out of 24 gauge brass hulls, though doing so is definitely a labour of love. If it still had full wood, I might consider making an offer, but if I were to acquire one, I think it would need to be in original configuration, for the historical appeal.

Thanks for the info.
 
I know it was made in Waffenfabrik BERN [waffenfabrik = arsenal] Switzerland in the 1800's.
I think it's a 41 caliber rim fire. Yup.

You CAN make ammunition for the Vetterli, after converting it to centre-fore configuration. I'm told that it's great fun.

Bertram Brass make cases for the .450-577 M-H. Price here in UK is around $8 a piece, but you also need a HUGE reloading press to take the very large die set. Or a model that you can easily remove the usual 7/8th threaded top insert.

tac
 
The Swiss rifles are not uncommon. Unaltered ones can sell for $250 - $700. The $700 one was really crisp, with lots of original finish. Cut ones might bring $200 - $250. They can be fired, using brass formed from .348 Winchester, and with the bolt converted to centerfire.
The M-H might have more appeal to a shooter than a collector, because of the alteration. Making .577 - .450 ammunition is a bit more of an adventure than making centerfire .41 Swiss.
 
Most well used typical condition unaltered Swiss 41's go for about $250.00-$350.00 that I have seen. I have 3 of them and all were between $225.00 to $275.00 and all came off of the EE. Very nice original condition guns with nice bores will bring more. I think an altered example would be in the $150.00-$200.00 range unless maybe it had a pristine bore .
The MH will not be a high value gun as well because of alterations.
 
The Swiss rifles are not uncommon. Unaltered ones can sell for $250 - $700. The $700 one was really crisp, with lots of original finish. Cut ones might bring $200 - $250. They can be fired, using brass formed from .348 Winchester, and with the bolt converted to centerfire.
The M-H might have more appeal to a shooter than a collector, because of the alteration. Making .577 - .450 ammunition is a bit more of an adventure than making centerfire .41 Swiss.

Exactly. As far as martini. ..
In Ontario if you can visit Orangeville gun show you would be able to buy loaded ammo and bullets. There's a couple of guys who sell it. $10 a shot but bullets are cheap for reloading. I think it was .460 ruger die that you could use for putting bullets in. Brass can be found about $5 a piece.
 
Thanks for the info folks.
I've posted them on the EE for $250 each.
Figure they are workable or at least nice wall hanger / historical specimens.
Keep the info coming :)
 
Back
Top Bottom