Somebody with .41 Long Colt hollow bases, can you measure the bullet length for me?

Ardent

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
818   0   2
I'm doing a drawing for a custom .41 Long Colt bullet mold as I'm getting back into that chambering, but I've given up my three hollow base molds I've owned for it and no longer have notes on bullet overall length. Would be interested in knowing how long something like the Rapine 185gr hollow point is (bullet only).

Really appreciate it!
 
If nobody turns up with some good info for you Henry at Budget Shooter Supply is casting .41 colt hollow base. I'm not sure if it's to original spec but I'm sure he'll be happy to help out. Give him a call and find out the OAL of his castings.

Hope that helps.
 
If nobody turns up with some good info for you Henry at Budget Shooter Supply is casting .41 colt hollow base. I'm not sure if it's to original spec but I'm sure he'll be happy to help out. Give him a call and find out the OAL of his castings.

Hope that helps.

Henry casts those with molds I sold him which are Rapine (unless he is using different ones). I don't know which of the three I sold him (they are all gone) but I have a chart I made of the specs my three molds cast on average:

Weight: 184.7gr / 185.4gr / 202gr

Length: 0.741" / 0.740" / 0.773"

Diameter: 0.385" / 0.388" / 0.386"
 
Hey fella's, not wanting to bust in on the thread , but I am going to get an antique from the U.S. soon and one of the handguns I was looking at was the colt lightning/thunderer in .41 colt. Do you folks have any hints on what to look for /stay away from? There are quite a few in the U.S. at ok prices and they look kinda cool and different!
 
Not yet but plan to as I want a colt thunderer .41, a webley .455 anda S&W russian .44! Sooo I will have to learn the basics Quickly :eek: . Thank god for you folks in this forum!
 
Start by loading for modern guns, as a screw up there is far safer and far less costly. With antiques, you don't even get one little mistake and in the best case scenario you threw away thousands of dollars, worst case you don't want to talk about. It's a ton of fun and extremely rewarding, so congratulations.
 
Will do for sure, and I understand . I will be picking on local knowledge, plus you guys and the books (at least 20 pounds of knowledge) I already have!
Just gotta get the SHOOTIN IRONS now.
Cheers
 
Hey fella's, not wanting to bust in on the thread , but I am going to get an antique from the U.S. soon and one of the handguns I was looking at was the colt lightning/thunderer in .41 colt. Do you folks have any hints on what to look for /stay away from? There are quite a few in the U.S. at ok prices and they look kinda cool and different!

I wouldn't buy another one of those without handling it in person. They have very fragile actions and are difficult to work on. Spare parts you pretty much will need to make yourself.
 
I would advise staying away from the cheaper models like Thunderers unless you're after a wall hanger. Spend the money for the good stuff, a high condition Smith Model 3, Colt SAA, or a large frame Webley that hasn't been converted to .45ACP and isn't yet a "Wobbly Webley". If you budget $2,500-6,000, and aim for one very good piece instead of a small collection of junk, you'll be much happier. Generally, the more you spend, the better- like most things.
 
Just make sure you're a handloader, and ideally a bullet caster. .41 Long Colt's a bit of a specialist's proposition, as are most antique chamberings though really.

I don't agree with the price assessment above. An excellent Webley Mark 1 oe 3 can be had for below $2,000. Doesn't matter if converted or not, converted are faster to load.

But I agree, stay away from the Colt Thunderer, I have one, the mechanic on mine is excellent but it feels like a toy gun.
 
I don't agree with the price assessment above. An excellent Webley Mark 1 oe 3 can be had for below $2,000. Doesn't matter if converted or not, converted are faster to load.

But I agree, stay away from the Colt Thunderer, I have one, the mechanic on mine is excellent but it feels like a toy gun.

.45 ACP'd Webleys in fact matter a great deal, you can bet a .45 ACP converted Webley has been fired with out of the box .45 ACP loads. For a new guy it is very sound advice to avoid .45 ACP conversions. Quoting GrantR (minus the string of wrecked .45ACP converted Webley photos):

GrantR said:
Please consider these facts -

1. The operating pressure for the Mark VI Webley revolver (the last, and strongest, of the .455 Webley service revolvers) was a maximum of 13200PSI (i.e. six 'long tons' of 2200 lbs).

2. The standard operating pressure generated by milspec and full factory loads of .45 ACP ball ammunition is 19,000PSI.

3. The pressure of .45 ACP milspec and standard factory loads exceeds the proof load for the Mark VI Webley revolver.

4. The dimensions of the chamber throats on Webley service revolvers are a bit variable, but generally are smaller than bore diameter for some reason - but this system worked well with the original hollowbase bullet design, which was quite soft (20/1 lead/tin) and non-jacketed. These soft bullets swage down passing through the chamber throat (.... my own view is that this was intentional, to get the most out of the relatively small powder charge, and thus maximize the velocity produced ....) but then the base expands nicely to engage the rifling in the bore. However, the general consensus is that jacketed bullets (such as those loaded in most GI-spec .45ACP ammo) can work to dramatically increase the already excessive chamber pressure generated by such rounds.

5. Furthermore, the earlier models of .455 Webley service revolver were not as strong as the Mark VI. Indeed, the Mark I, Mark II and Mark III revolvers were in fact designed for black powder loads.
 
Depends on your ability I suppose.
My only antique is an 1889 colt in .41.
Delicate finicky action? You bet.
Shoot good, check.
First antique...hmmm. Does repairing clocks intimidate you?
Maybe Colt SAA, except for the 4 K $ pricetag.
1892 colt is going to be at least as finicky as an '89 to work on but way more positive lockup.
At a glance the Lightning is going to have the type of lockup as an '89; the lack of detents on the cylinder says it all. Better have patience and caution I'd think.
Go for the '73 Colt, I've got a Pietta version, it's simple and a tank.
For what my 2 cents is worth.
Stay safe.
 
Back
Top Bottom